How many fish will my filter support ?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

How many fish will my filter support ?

Postby dazzerp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:11 pm

I have a Juwel Rio 180 with the standard internal filter system. I currently have 2 green Texas,2 Jack dempsey,2 Firemouths and 4 kribs and 2 Sailfin plecs. All juvenile.

Ive been told that the American cichlids are a messy bunch but i want to know how many fish i can keep before my filter gets over run.
I do weekly water changes of about 45 litres and rinse the filter pads in turn each time i do the change and replace the top white every week without fail.

Can anyone help.
dazzerp

Re: How many fish will my filter support ?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:43 am

Considering what you already have in there (yes I know you said they were juveniles but that won't be so for long) I would be removing some or getting a much larger tank, not considering what else to add.
A single Texas cichlid requires 280L. A pair needs 473L.
Jack Dempseys are so named because of their vicious nature (and most of your fish are territorial and once they hit a certain age or size all hell is going to break out in your small tank!) and are not considered suitable for a beginner aquarist. Since you have housed all these fish together is too small a tank I am assuming you are inexperienced. They are usually kept on their own, and a single JD needs 210L (a pair, 285L). If you want them to have tank mates you need about 380L and keep your fingers crossed!
The firemouths are kribs will be destroyed by the JD (or possibly the Texas).
Sailfin plecs get very large and a single one would only just fit in your tank (a bigger tank would be more suitable for it)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby dazzerp » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm already on the lookout for a new tank as I know nothing stays small and as for the anger management I'm just gonna have to see how it goes. If it goes badly then fish will get moved on to new homes.
dazzerp

Postby englishmx » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:30 am

dazzerp wrote:as for the anger management I'm just gonna have to see how it goes. If it goes badly then fish will get moved on to new homes.

Very responsible fish keeping :wink:

You have been told what is likely to happen by Carylnz in her reply above. When it 'goes badly' things will be too late for the poor fish
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Help!