Water is getting too hot!!! Help!!!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Water is getting too hot!!! Help!!!

Postby MBOP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 am

Hello,

I have a juwel tank 125l and I don't think my heater has ever worked properly since I bought it as the light has never been on and temp does not change when I turn the dial but it's never been a problem as always stayed at around 27degrees.

Over the weekend I noticed that the water is getting hotter and hotter and is now at 33 degrees!!!! and I lost 2 fish - I changed my water yesterday and put cooler water in which brough the temperature below 30 degrees for a while but is now back up to 33!!!

Does anyone know why its suddenly rising so much? Do i need a new heater? I don't want to fry my fishies :-(

Thanks
MBOP

Re: Water is getting too hot!!! Help!!!

Postby wilfy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 am

replace the heater if in any dout,let water cool slowly ,large suden drop in tempriture is just as bad for fish,,dont risk losing all your fish for the sake of a new heater .if you can aford to ,keep a spare just in case of emergancies. :idea: :idea: :idea:
wilfy

Postby MBOP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Ok thank you - do you know what wattage I will need or does that not make a difference? I don't know what mine currently is as I bought it second hand last year.
MBOP

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:01 pm

MBOP wrote:Ok thank you - do you know what wattage I will need or does that not make a difference? I don't know what mine currently is as I bought it second hand last year.

125L tank, a 200watt heater would be perfect. I have been using these on various tanks for a few years since they came out, never had an issue yet.....

http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A773

You get for what you pay for, and I certainly wouldn't cut corners on heaters
Last edited by englishmx on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike...
englishmx

Postby MBOP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Thank you I have just ordered one from pet planet - half price £15 bargain!!

Do you think I should take the heater out of the tank when I get home tonight until my new one arrives? Or will the temp drop too much? It should be here by the end of the week but dont want to lose any more fish in the meantime.
MBOP

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:21 pm

MBOP wrote:Thank you I have just ordered one from pet planet - half price £15 bargain!!

Result :)

Yes, take it out, your old heater has gone if the water is getting up to 33Deg, providing the location of the tank is not in a drafty, cold room and you have the central heating on the temp shouldn't drop below 22/23 ish, that's certainly a lot better than 33 :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby wilfy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 pm

im asuming you have a thrmomiter in your tank ,,turn your heater on/off manuly at the plug, to regulate the tempriture ,untill you get your new heater,,or if you have freinds or family ,who keep fish ,ask if they have a spare heater,,i would not be waiting a week, for my new heater,to arrive,not when the health and posibly the life of all the fish in the tank are at risk,try and get one quicker.
wilfy

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:28 pm

wilfy wrote:I would not be waiting a week, for my new heater,to arrive

Modern day online shops, he will probably receive it tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:30 pm

wilfy wrote:ask if they have a spare heater,,i would not be waiting a week, for my new heater,to arrive,not when the health and posibly the life of all the fish in the tank are at risk,try and get one quicker.

If the temp drops too much, crank the heating up, fish houses work fine in a 'hot/warm' ambient temperature without a heater in sight :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby MBOP » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 pm

he will probably receive it tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest :wink:[/quote]

She :-)

Thank you for your help, I will turn it off when I get home and keep an eye on the temp and turn it back on if i need to, I live in a cottage so can get very cold.

Unfortunately I would not be able to get to a fish shop until Thursday as thats the only day it is open late and there isnt one near my work so fingers crossed they will dispatch it quickly.
MBOP

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:57 pm

MBOP wrote:he will probably receive it tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest :wink:

She :-)

Apologies :oops:
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Help!