Urgent advice needed - Im out of ideas!!!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Urgent advice needed - Im out of ideas!!!

Postby mattshelley_ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi I have a biube pure which I have owned for 3months with 3 Danios and 5 tetras and check toxicity levels regularly. about 3-4 weeks I lost a danio and couldnt find the body, i think it died and got lost in the ceramic media but since am having alot of trouble with high ammonia (generally dark green off the chart) and have subsequantly lost another danio to ammonia poisening (apart from this one all the other fish seem happy and are feeding well etc).I am changing 30-40% water daily (including trying several products to reduce ammonia including stress coat, stress zyme, prime and ammo lock) and have changed the filter twice in the last two weeks but cannot get ammonia to drop. would you reccommend removing the fish and doing a full water change/starting again? alternatively I can just keep trying this. I also suffered a bacterial bloom where the water went cloudy and seem to see alot of particles in the ceramic media despite regular vacuuming. I feed once a day and am careful to ensure all food gets eaten.
I am mindfull that all this activity can/will be stressing the fish out but after two months of really enjoyable fish keeping the last month has been non stop stress and work and thus not very enjoyable at all :(
mattshelley_

Re: Urgent advice needed - Im out of ideas!!!

Postby SparkyST » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:57 pm

I would leave the filter alone cleaning it or changing it will be getting rid of the bacteria that breaks down Ammonia and nitrites.

Make sure there is no dead or rotting food (or fish) anywhere as this will give high ammonia. Its only a small tank by what I can see on google this will make it harder to keep levels as things change a lot quicker do to less water to dilute Ammonia and Nitrite.
SparkyST

Postby mattshelley_ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've also been told to reduce feeding to a small amount every three days and switch to prime which I'm now adding every other day. They think the bloom I had may have killed the nostromous bacteria that us ethe ammonia and such may have to regrow it. I'm feeling better now I know the prime I'm using make the ammonia safe for the fish-they all look so happy and play most of the day as well as going mad at feeding times which has been confusing me as the ammonia readings are so high they should have died long ago....
mattshelley_

Postby Carylnz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:38 am

You have way too many fish in the tank so you will never get the ammonia down to 0 unless you remove some. This tank only has 34L and is tall and thin so stocking is much lower due to reduced water surface area.
If there are still products in there like Ammolock, you may be getting false readings.
Forget chemicals, do water changes and reduce fish numbers.
The fish you have are unsuitable to that shape of tank. They need more swimming space.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!