strange thing on plants and ich

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

strange thing on plants and ich

Postby Skysters » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 am

im currently treating for the dreaded whitespot ,hopefully all will be well , hate to think clowns wont make it

also i bought a internal filter ..couldnt really afford a external one yet so this will make do to replace the old one ,

while im treating for whitespot is it wise to put this one in tank or not ? as im gonna have to run both for a while .. to make sure i dont lose any goodness from water ? i think i have also been told wrong by LFS to leave filter as it is and not remove anything ? so advise will be good plzzzzzz

i have clowns and dont want these to die ..nor my other fish but need to get rid of ich.. i have so far treated twice with filter intact

also woke up this morning to this clump of jelly like stuff on plants :S any ideas what it could be ?

thanx for advice anyone x
Sue:)

Tank Size 48 x 15 x 18 inch
3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Re: strange thing on plants and ich

Postby Carylnz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 am

Clown loaches are sensitive to ich meds and should be dosed at half the recommended dose.
Keep old filter in there. Add new filter if you like.
Jelly-like stuff on plants is usually snail eggs.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Skysters » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 am

Carylnz wrote:Clown loaches are sensitive to ich meds and should be dosed at half the recommended dose.
Keep old filter in there. Add new filter if you like.
Jelly-like stuff on plants is usually snail eggs.

thanx carylnz ..

so if im doing half the dose from today , which is 3rd day ..2 full doses so far but with carbon .. now carbon is out .. how long shud i dose for

tank temp is up too 30 ..im doing a gravel clean today when i do a water change , before i put more meds in

today is spose to be the last day as the dosage say day 123 ,,then day 6

so if half the dosage going in how do i do this? do i keep putting in daily ? or just some today ( day 3 ) then on day 6 which is thursday , altho the clown loaches still have some spots. they are still pretty active.

Thanx for ur help :)

i also now plan on getting a another 15 litre tank soon as a quaratine tank for new fishes ,

i will set up and get that sorted so i can add healthy fish to primary tank after a cpl weeks quaratine

so i would like to know what the best cpl of fishes to get to help with the cycling ?

3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Postby Carylnz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am

I usually run a small spare filter in the main tank then set up a Q tank when it is required with the filter (and water) that has already been cycled in the main tank. Saves hassles.
I found this on Fishgeeks...

Based on info at www.Loaches.com here are a few ways to deal with Ich:
Use Rid Ich by Kordon. The formulation is a bit different, and Loaches can handle it well.
Dose 50% of the normal dose in the AM, then 50% in the PM. So they are still getting the full day's dose, just avoiding that extreme peak of dosing all at one time.
Keep up the water changes, as much gravel vacuuming as you can.
Ich can get into the gills, so your fish may be having a hard time because of that. Increase the oxygen level in the water by increasing the surface movement. Add a bubbler, lower the water level a bit so the water returning from the filter splashes a bit...
Day 3: Repeat.
Now the dose is 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Every time you do a water change add that much back to the new water. ie: do a 10 gallon water change, put 1 tablespoon of salt into the new water.
Ich lands on the fish in a single cell form, too small to see. It grows and the fish reacts forming the white spot. This takes several days. When you dose medicine the fish still have some very small Ich that just got on them but have not grown enough to see. Over the next few days the Ich grows. When you see it, a few days after you start medicating, you think the meds are not working.
The meds may be working, these are just the Ich that got on the fish right before the first dose.
Bare bottom tank, no meds, Ultra Violet Sterilizer and vacuum the tank daily, twice a day if you can. Be really sure you are thoroughly vacuuming the floor of the tank, slowly, gently so as to not stir up the Ich, but to actually remove it.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Skysters » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:48 pm

thanx so much for this info it helps , i spose i am getting confused as the lfs is telling me not to do things or do things , :S i have been told not too vaccum gravel...but i think ur explanation and help seams to be more helpful than the lfs :)

3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Return to Help!