Old tank, new problem...

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Old tank, new problem...

Postby daniel.t » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi everyone.
I've had my tank set up for over 2 years and everything's been going fine. I decided a few days ago I was going to do a total re-scape of the tank, so yesterday I bought some new plants, wood and decor, and spent about 8 hours last night cleaning, planting, arranging and rearranging everything until I was eventually happy with the new look. I am really pleased with how its turned out, well worth the effort.

The problem is since getting up this morning the water is really cloudy, possibly bacteria bloom?
. The tank has been running fine on an under gravel/power head system since day one but I think I may have over cleaned the gravel. I didn't take the gravel out of the tank, but I churned it up and emptied/refilled the water over and over again until the water was pretty much clear. Will this have killed or washed away all of my beneficial bacteria?

I don't really know where I stand now. Is my tank back to square one in terms of cycling? It is fully stocked with fish, and ammonia will rise fast. What should I do?
Should I water change every other day or so for a few weeks?

I also added a fluval u2 to the tank yesterday just for a bit of additional filtration, aeration and water movement. So I'm hoping the addition of this will help speed up the development of new bacteria.

Please help or advise. My tank now looks great but could quickly become a fishy grave yard :(
daniel.t

Re: Old tank, new problem...

Postby Carylnz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 am

Assuming you have been siphoning the water out digging down to the filter plates, I suspect you will have removed much of the beneficial bacteria that lives under the filter plate (and in the gravel of an under gravel filter) and the cloudiness may be a bacterial bloom.
Keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels. When they start to reach high levels (eg over .25) do a water change. This may mean daily water changes for a while, depending on how many bacteria survived the rescaping.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby daniel.t » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. :)
I may have just beena bit paranoid after waking up to hazy water. Everything appears to be fine. Tested the water Sunday, and again this evening, ammonia @ 0ppm, nitrite @ 0ppm.

I don't know what caused the cloudy water but the bio filter seams to still be doing its job.

BTW, Where has everyone gone? I remember this form being a lot more active than this...
daniel.t

Postby englishmx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm

daniel.t wrote:BTW, Where has everyone gone? I remember this form being a lot more active than this...

13 posts in over 2 years :wink:

By all accounts most forums are the same, it's since the social networking sites like Twitter have taken off
Mike...
englishmx

Postby daniel.t » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah, I'm more of a form reader than a poster.
I have still been around, just not asking questions, and as I don't count myself as being clued up enough to advise others with their issues I don't post.

Some real guru's on here though. I've learned a lot.
daniel.t

Postby englishmx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Was only pulling your leg :)

Yes, some very knowledgeable folk on here, continually learning myself
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Help!