Emergency tank replacement

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Emergency tank replacement

Postby dannybgoode » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi all

A leaking tank is forcing me to get a new one (which btw I have took as the perfect opportunity to do a sneaky upgrade from an 80l to a 210l!). Current stock is modest - 5 corys, 1 black widow tetra and 2 silver fin tetras. I was about to restock when I noticed the leak so have held off.

My question is, when the new tank comes on Saturday will I need to worry too much about cycling? I have got a nice big external filter which has been running for around 8 months now and I will use the existing gravel and the existing water.

My plan is then to leave the tank a few weeks to settle before adding a few more fish (want to get the black widow shoal to a reasonable size first) and take it from there.

Thanks all for your help

Danny B
dannybgoode

Re: Emergency tank replacement

Postby SparkyST » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:53 pm

When I upgraded my tank I moved the filter and the water to the tank and had no issues with the tank cycling again. I dont see a problem with it.

Only issue I would see is leaving the tank empty as the bacteria in the filter wont have anything to feed on.
SparkyST

Postby dannybgoode » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks Sparky

Is as I thought. Just got to plan the swap over, not had such a big tank before. V excited!

Cheers

Danny B
dannybgoode

Postby SparkyST » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Your welcome and it is very exciting getting a new tank. I went form a 20l to an 80l a couple of months back. I now want an even bigger tank but dont have the space for it :( hoping to move house next year so will get one then.

Good luck with the move of the tank.
SparkyST

Return to Help!