Aftermath of poor maint...

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Aftermath of poor maint...

Postby Steveo140 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Hey folks,
I'm Steve and although "Newish" in terms of fishkeeping and I grown up fish tanks in the house and have been keeping for over a year now. My current 100L is probably around 6 Months old and everything was going smoothly. I was away for a week and when I came back all hell had broke loose. I had lost 1 female gourami (who was hard to feed but I managed), 1 male goby who was stick thin but managed to keep him ticking along even though he was tricky to feed and about 8 guppys in a space of two days.

I did my checks when I noticed this and water paramiters were quite frankly shocking! I have got things back under control and the remaining inhabitants are happy and back to normal routine except a female gourami, saddest thing is that she is pair with the male whome i love to bits!

Now to describe her... -She sits pointing up at the top of the water in one of the far corners away from light
-pectoral fins by side and tail fin sloppy
-starts moving pectoral fins while staying in same place to take a gulp of air then resumes above position'
-one eye has a white dot in the center
-The other seems to have a round brown disc with a very large patch white tuff in the center

I thought it was "cotton wool" at first but totally unsure now. any chance to save her or is it worth buying clove oil to gently put her down?

Kind Regards
Steve
Steveo140

Re: Aftermath of poor maint...

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 am

I am very surprised you had so many problems with an established tank after only being away for 1 week.
Some fish cope better with poor water conditions than others and some may have permanent damage, depending on what happened. Any chance of a pic?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!