Unknown item found

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Unknown item found

Postby darkwhamsic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Please help

i recently found this floting next to the weir for the filter...

http://postimage.org/image/e1bcmcngz/

Sorry if it's hard to see.

It's roughly the size of a pea and has an orange center. The outer part looks slightly furry and squishy. When i did sqeeze it, it ejected what looked like eggs (may not have been) from a very small slit

I have put it in an isolated part of the tank just in case it is eggs..

I have a common pleco and black widow tetras that were already in the tank and i noticed that it was in the tank just after adding mollies and neons, so this may reduce what it could be.
it could be something completely different as the guy who bagged up the fish took water from another tank, so i'm stumped

i do have plants in the tank... so is it an egg sack or seed sack from the plants.
darkwhamsic

Re: Unknown item found

Postby straty44 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 pm

It could be snail eggs, difficult to tell on photo, if it is, get rid asap..........
When you keep fish for love, do it with your heart, not your brain”
straty44

Postby Carylnz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:17 am

It could also possibly be a bit of left over food that has fungussed. Do you have a tendency to overfeed?
Snail eggs are clear and I don't think any have a pale orange centre (but could be wrong). I have seen leftover food look like that though.
Bristlenose eggs are bright orange and you did not mention having any in the tank.
Could also possibly be the remains of a dead, uneaten bit of fish. Noticed any missing lately?
Remove it anyway as it is covered in fungus.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby darkwhamsic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 pm

nope, no missing fish and don't over feed, only what i know will get consumed quick enough.

could be a number of different fish, like i said when the guy put the water in the bag to transport the fish, it was taken from a different tank than the fish i wanted...
they did sell bristlenose's so could be.. i think i remember them in roughly the same area of the store setup...

it's like a jelly sweet that been left in water... sqishy but doesnt change shape or shrink when removed from water (like moss would... if you get me haha)

don't think it's anything off the plants either as they were never in with any fish, snails etc...
darkwhamsic

Return to Help!