NITRATES

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

NITRATES

Postby devilswater » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Need a bit of help with nitrate in the tank. It's at a very high level at the moment. Have tried all the usual solutions i.e. water changes, nitrate down, less feeding, gravel cleaning but still cant get it down. Ammonia and nitrite levels are perfect but the nitrate is showing somewhere between 70 and 90. Haven't changed the filter media as dont want to upset the other levels. Any help or other solutions would be appreciated. Also have checked my tap water and the nitrate level is 20 so cant really understand why i cant bring it down. :?
4 Neons
4 Cherry Barbs
1 Bronze Pleco
3 Albino Corys
1 Swordtail
8 Threadfin Rainbow
14 Black Mollies
1 Congo Tetra
devilswater

Re: NITRATES

Postby Inkykit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi

Im no expert and im sure someone will be able to offer you more advice than i can!

Just wondered what the size/volume of your tank is and when you last added any fish? (or babies born)

Just a thought, but it could be the filter is not coping with the number of fish in the tank
Jan x

Tropical fish
Tanks include:
Cichlids, Barbs, Danios, Loaches, Plecs Sharks
Guppies, Mollies, Platies, Swordtails
Inkykit

Postby devilswater » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Thx Inkykit, haven't added fish in months. 4Ft set-up and filter is oversized to cope with 300ltrs plus so filter is not problem. all fish accounted for so no dead fish and all plants are healthy. water changes 1 a week and gravel cleaned at same time so still at a loss. any help appreciated
4 Neons
4 Cherry Barbs
1 Bronze Pleco
3 Albino Corys
1 Swordtail
8 Threadfin Rainbow
14 Black Mollies
1 Congo Tetra
devilswater

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:04 pm

devilswater wrote:Thx Inkykit, haven't added fish in months. 4Ft set-up and filter is oversized to cope with 300ltrs plus so filter is not problem. all fish accounted for so no dead fish and all plants are healthy. water changes 1 a week and gravel cleaned at same time so still at a loss. any help appreciated

How much water are you changing at a time?
Mike...
englishmx

Postby devilswater » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 pm

About 25% each time, dont want to upset the balance by doing 50% change as ammonia and nitrite levels are spot on.
4 Neons
4 Cherry Barbs
1 Bronze Pleco
3 Albino Corys
1 Swordtail
8 Threadfin Rainbow
14 Black Mollies
1 Congo Tetra
devilswater

Postby devilswater » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm in the process of setting up a second tank to see how that copes. It's smaller so I know it wont cope with the same amount of fish but I'll cycle it first with a few small fish and see what the readings are after a few weeks. I may also try doing daily changes on the main tank up to 10% each and see if this helps.
4 Neons
4 Cherry Barbs
1 Bronze Pleco
3 Albino Corys
1 Swordtail
8 Threadfin Rainbow
14 Black Mollies
1 Congo Tetra
devilswater

Return to Help!