Pregenent Guppy, how long to keep her seperated?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Pregenent Guppy, how long to keep her seperated?

Postby TheWildHaggis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Good day folks,

Looking for some advice. I have receaquired 5 guppys never had them before so looking for some advice. Out of the five one is male and four are females. One of the females is pregrenent, shown by the large black spot. I am keen on having fry so dont want them to be eaten. However I am not sure how far along the pregnent female is, we have had her for a week, and she was shown as being pregnent before this. Should I put her in a breeding trap just now and keep her their untill she gives birth? Would this do any harm to her, she may still have another 7days to go before she gives birth?

The tank is a 180ltr established for about 2years, moderatly planted. Tank mates are 6neons and two danios and loads of red cherry shrimp.

Thanks.
180Ltr tank, planted. Established for about 2years.
5 Guppys, 6Neons, 2Danios.
Loads of Red Cherry Shrimp.
TheWildHaggis

Re: Pregenent Guppy, how long to keep her seperated?

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Guppies produce fry every 4 - 6 weeks and you have 4 females. I will assume all of them are gravid but one is more so than the rest. If you separate the gravid ones and save all the fry you will be over-run with guppies in about 1 month.
Putting them in breeding traps is very stressful and they often abort (or jump out if it doesn't have a lid). I also found the fry would drop to the bottom then swim back up through the gap and get eaten anyway! Never lift a fully gravid female out of the water. If you need to catch her to move her or whatever, lower a container into the water and lift it up under the fish so she stays under water at all times.
Better to add more plants to the tank so one or two per spawn can survive. Ambulia, cabomba, water sprite, Indian fern etc. Fine leaved, bushy plants. Java moss is also excellent.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Pregenent Guppy, how long to keep her seperated?

Postby TheWildHaggis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. The situation seems to have resolved itself, when i returned from work, i noticed that we had some fry in the tank.

Their is a lot of plants in the tank, including some that you mentioned i dont want to be over run with guppies, so will leave them to the natural cover provided by the plants.

Thanks
180Ltr tank, planted. Established for about 2years.
5 Guppys, 6Neons, 2Danios.
Loads of Red Cherry Shrimp.
TheWildHaggis

Return to Help!