FISH DIEING PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

FISH DIEING PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Postby sammy2012 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 pm

i bought a jewl rekord 600 (60 litrte) 4 months ago set it up as instructed and everything was fine.
i wanted a bigger tank so i baught a fluval roma 125 (120 litre) and was told if i transfer all my water from my old tank and fill it up with treated tap water it would be fine to put my fish straight in so i did exactly that everthing was fine and today when i turned the tank light on 1 guppy 1 moontailed molly 1 siamese algue eater 2 tetras and 4 barbs were dead and all the other fish are hovering at the top of the tank.... can anybody help me please thanks Sammy
sammy2012

Re: FISH DIEING PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Postby Carolann » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:22 pm

I bet someone comes along with some words of advice.
Stating the obvious it wasnt ok to just swap tanks and top up the water, was it the person who sold you the bigger tank that said it would be ok.
I hope you manage to sort things out , without much more loss. Good Luck.
Carolann

Postby sammy2012 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:26 pm

another tetra has just died... and no i asked the shop where i get my fish from and i brought the tank somewhere else all the only fish thats fine is my male siamese fighter.... i dont understand how the fish can be fine for 2 days then over night all the fish are at the top of the water and just under half have died
sammy2012

Postby Carylnz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Did you swap the filter, or filter media, over with it? If not, your tank is cycling again. Get the water tested for ammonia. nitrites and nitrates as I suspect these are too high and killing the fish. Also, check the temperature. The dials on heaters are notoriously inaccurate.
Gasping at the surface indicates a lack of oxygen. This can be a result of too high temp.
If your readings are too high, do an immediate water change of at least 30% and continue to do so daily until the ammonia is back to 0.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby sammy2012 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:39 pm

no im using the new filter its a fluval u3... and the temp is 25/26 degrese.... and i have a oxygen bubble machine in the tank too so there is plenty of oxygen.. i think......and the place i brought my fish from said if i put my old tank water in it will be fine... so i gota keep doing 30% waterchange to save the fish??
sammy2012

Postby englishmx » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 pm

sammy2012 wrote:and the place i brought my fish from said if i put my old tank water in it will be fine... so i gota keep doing 30% waterchange to save the fish??

Poor advice I'm afraid, the goodness is in the filter medium, not in the water, as Carylnz says in effect you are starting all over again so yes, get water changing :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 am

What have you done with the old filter? Is the media still wet? Get it into the new filter immediately as it has all your good bacteria in it!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!