Bronze catfish

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Bronze catfish

Postby Mr Grumpy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi all, one of my bronze catfish appears to be egg laden, I wonder if anyone can confirm my diagnoses or has she got some horrid disease?! She has developed a large bulge between the ventral fins on the underside and has darkened considerably in colour, it may just be me but I also think her eyes are slightly more protruding than the others, maybe she's just got big, beautiful eyes hence why she's breeding in the first place. I noticed these changes 2 days ago and apart from that she is feeding well and very active as usual, any ideas?
Also does abnyone know how long she will carry the eggs and how long they will then take to hatch?
Thanks for any help, all the best.
Mr Grumpy
Mr Grumpy

Re: Bronze catfish

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 am

As far as I know, they should bulge out at the sides and they don't change colour. If she is bulging differently, and darkened, I wonder about constipation or a blockage. Have you noticed any poo?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Mr Grumpy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Appears she wasn't pregnant as on return from work this morning she was upside down and stone dead. Any ideas as to what killed her from those 'symptoms'. On close inspection of the corpse there appeared no outward sign of injury and nothing had been stolen so foul play is not suspected! No spots, lesions etc, swelling on the abdomen was still present but very soft to touch and no discharge when pressed. Any ideas?
Mr Grumpy

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Without an autopsy you will have no way of knowing. :(
I still say constipation or other blockage or major organ failure (cause of that unknown)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!