Hole in the side of my tetra!!!!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Hole in the side of my tetra!!!!

Postby scousermartin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi All I hope that someone can help, one of my tetras (cardinal) has developed a large hole in his side (I cant seem to upload any pics to this site please see link below), this does not seem to be affecting him, he seems to be swimming and eating normally, this hole has developed over about two months, at first it looked like he had lost a or some scales and I had red that they can get over it, but it has since grown bigger, I have tonight just spotted that tone other tetra have developed a white raised spot on his nose, and another a white spot the same but one of his eyes seems to have gone glassy/cloudy in certain lights.

They are in a 46l fluval edge, there is as follows

12 cardinal/neon tetras
4 copper harlequin
1 Bristle nose catfish
1 Siamese fighter
2 Chain Loach

Selection of plants
Water tests all came out A*

Pictures of hole in tetra - http://www.flickr.com/photos/scousermar ... 937603030/
scousermartin

Re: Hole in the side of my tetra!!!!

Postby Carylnz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am

I am pleased you say the tests are A* as I would say you are very overstocked.
Does the hole look like something inside has burst out or like something outside has gone in? Hard to tell from the blurry pics but neons are not the easiest things to photograph are they!
I suspect parasites if the hole is exploding outwards.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rob W » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 pm

I have a cherry barb with something similar. It had a fungal growth around the damaged area too which the fish sloughed off itself, it has now completely healed up and I treated the water with anti fungal meds to be on the safe side. The loaches you have should ideally be kept in a large group. It's possible that in small groups in the smaller aquarium they become nippy and inflict damage on other fish, especially the eyes. They could be responsible for the fish injuries.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby scousermartin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, think i might try the fungal treatment and maybe a parasite treatment, the fish with a white spot on his nose its like a zit so I don't think its white spot! and the hole... its raised around the edge then it goes in like a trough and then raises back up in the middle!? maybe 5mm accross.

I have never seen the chain loach nip they normally spend there time hidden.

Dunno if this will shed any light!

thanks all

Martin
scousermartin

Return to Help!