Bad First Fish Weekend- Advice required

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Bad First Fish Weekend- Advice required

Postby frizzybonce » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi

I am new to this. Having set up by 60l tank 4 weeks ago , the water chemistry was ok so on advice from fish shop added 6 neon tetras and 2 black mollies on Sat pm. Within 12 hrs the Mollies went bonkers and started bullying the tetras. We removed the mollies but by this morining all the neon tetras were dead. The fish shop have replaced them and taken back the mollies and said this was unusual. I am now worried the tank is not right so retested the water, nitrites is 0 but the amonnia level is 2mg.l . Is this ok? I do want to add something else at some point but happy to leave for a while. :( Any advice?
frizzybonce

Re: Bad First Fish Weekend- Advice required

Postby SparkyST » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Ammonia needs to be 0, 2mg is way too high and is probably what killed the tetras. Plenty of water changes will bring it down. I'm guessing your tank hasnt cycled due to you leaving the tank with no fish in it for 4 weeks. You can do a fishless cycle but you need to add ammonia so your filter can build up the bacteria that removes the toxins e.g. ammonia, nitrite.

Plenty of info on here on cycling your tank.
SparkyST

Postby frizzybonce » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm

oh dear .poor fish . thank you
frizzybonce

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:55 pm

If that is the sort of advice the shop is giving you then I suggest you find another!
Mollies are too big for a 60L and 4 neon tetras would have been the most you should have added at a time.
Keep doing 30% water changes until the ammonia reads 0 before trying to add any more fish. When you do, do not add more than 4 neon sized fish at a time.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 pm

poor shop advice again....all to common a prob..... :angry: .....

unfortunatly when they say set up the tank,leave it running for awhile...then get us to test the water......all comes back great....coz no fish have been polluting it.then in go the fish and the ammonia skyrockets.....

with fish keeping the way to start is very slowly,which doesnt help the shops tills....so here's where the bad advice comes from.

there is great advice on here regarding the cycling process....so dont worry.

i have started all my tanks using the fish in method (although using mature media to start the filter).you have to grow bacteria in your filter,these then feed on the waste products,making them less toxic.these toxins are kept at bay by regular water changes..your levels are to be expected i'm afraid,but do some daily water changes and these will be reduced down to the preferred levels...0 ideally..

dont rush to stock your tank,or it will happen again and you will get fed up and forget the hobby.....have a good read thru the beginners/help posts....it's amazing how much you can pick up.....we all started as novices once,so dont worry.....you found this forum and we will help you if we can.

a few tips...never over clean a filter once established,never wash it in anything other than TANK water (it kills the bacteria )...keep feeding light at the mo to help reduce the waste produced.

good luck

:)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby frizzybonce » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Thank you for such sound advice. Was getting a little hysterical . Have since start small water changes on daily basis so hopefully will get it under control.
frizzybonce

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm

If the ammonia is still high you need to do more than small water changes. 30% - 50% would be better.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Mr Grumpy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi frizzybonce, hope things are settling down, the advice on this site is superb and will help no end. Try reading the section on the ammonia cycle as that helped me no end. Basically ammonia is produced by the fish which is poisonous to them, the bacteria in your filter converts it to nitrites which is also poisonous then further bacteria converts it to nitrates which they can tolerate in small amounts but is removed/managed by regular water changes. Ammonia and nitrites should read 0 and nitrates as low as possible, and certainly less than 50mg/litre.
Whatever you do persevere, you have hit on a great hobby and you will get all the help you need.
All the best.
Mr Grumpy

Postby ady » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 pm

that was very un-grumpy....... :lol:

well put. :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Help!