Pearl Danio's Swollen Belly?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Pearl Danio's Swollen Belly?

Postby GameCheetah12 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 am

Hello. I am really concerned about my pearl danio.

I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 pearl danios, 1 albino bristlenosed pleco, and 1 dwarf gourami. My tank has been running for about 11 months, and I've had all these fish together almost the whole time, so they are not new to each other or the tank.

Today, as I was about to do another of my weekly 25% water changes, I noticed that my largest danio had a swollen tummy. I am panicking, because I know that fish's bellies sometimes swell before they die... So I am extremely worried. I don't know if my danios are girls or boys. The other two danios are not as large as the one with the swollen belly.

The belly is pretty much the same size on each side, and is a pink color just in front of the anal fin. The other two danios are bothering this one, and showing some interest in the area that is turning pink, they keep poking it and annoying her.

I thought that the fish might be pregnant, but that doesn't make sense to me because the fish are not new to each other, and I just noticed the large protruding belly today. The fish still swims around like the other two, but swims more clumsily with the stomach, as if she has to wriggle her head more to swim. There are no white spots or lifted scales that make me think it might have ich or dropsy, but I honestly have no clue what it could be. I am very scared!

Please help. Thanks :'(
GameCheetah12

Re: Pearl Danio's Swollen Belly?

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Females do get quite fat but redness in the anal area makes me wonder if she is constipated or has a blockage. If she is being pestered, separate her from the others. A small container floating in the main tank is fine (plastic ice cream container, Tupperware etc) but make sure you change the water daily. Add just enough tank water for the fish to swim upright then feed a bit of squished pea (shell removed). Peas are good for constipation. Each day remove most of the water (don't put it back in the main tank) and add more tank water. Check the container daily for signs of poo so you know if she is, in fact, able to do so or not.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Pearl Danio's Swollen Belly?

Postby GameCheetah12 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Thank you so much for actually replying!

Good news: I decided to let her be and feed the tank sparingly (hoping it was constipation that was bloating her), to see if the issue would resolve itself, and it did! :D Yes, her swelling almost completely gone! I think that she was indeed constipated. I am SO glad to see that my little fishy will be okay :)

Thanks so much for your advice!
GameCheetah12

Return to Help!