My silver / bala sharks

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

My silver / bala sharks

Postby rob the vent » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi, firstly i would like to thank you for accepting me into your web page world :D .OK i recently purchased a couple of silver tailed sharks (Flash and Gordon) the problem is after day 2 all they seem to do is sort of rotate over each other whilst looking at their reflection! The only time they seem to stop is when the tribe get fed. I run a Juwel 260 so there is no excuse for them not to get any exercise. They live with 8 barbs (7 Ruby, 1 tiger called "Ferris" that sneaked into the bag when i wasn`t looking, in the fish shop.) 6 silver mollies and 2 tiny plecs. I have a happy home, lots of real plants, a couple of lumps of bog wood, and some cool rocks and slate from my garden. Anyway thats enough of my woffle if you can help i will be very grateful as i don`t like to see some of my tribe acting a bit weird. Many thanks Rob :?
rob the vent

Re: My silver / bala sharks

Postby Carylnz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Bala sharks are a shoaling fish and prefer to be in groups of 5 or more although you rarely see them kept this way, due to that number needing a HUGE tank. The two will be trying to school and work out who is dominant. Most people only have one as a group will outgrow your tank. Angel Fish's balas outgrew her 6ft tank. They need a lot of length to swim in, and plenty of space free of plants. They can startle and ram into the end glass.
I currently have a single one in my 4ft tank as it was given to me by someone who, I think, had it in a 2ft tank and said they would flush it if I didn't rehome it :(
He seems OK on his own and the sore on the end of his nose (from hitting the end of his previous tank) has healed.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby rob the vent » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:31 pm

:D Hi i have come to the conclusion that although i only have two of them and they are only 2" long swimming in 250 l of water, they are just vane!!!!! After blacking out the side of my tank so that they can`t see their reflection they`ve gone in to cool mode.Many thanks. Rob :D :D :D
rob the vent

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 am

Your tank is still way too small. They may only be small now, but Bala Sharks grow very quickly and won't thrive in such small numbers.
It would be better for the fish if you could return/rehome them now.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby rob the vent » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Would anybody like two sexy silver/Bala sharks called "Flash and Gorden" they are lovely but advise tells me i was miss sold. They are 100mm long as a guess and well happy :(
rob the vent

Postby markee » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Don't get rid of them, you have the perfect excuse to buy a bigger tank, then you could add a few more :wink:
markee

Return to Help!