Ammonia spike

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Ammonia spike

Postby Gary fergusson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi. I've been running a 90litre tank for about 8 months now, which I cycled over about 4 weeks using pure ammonia. Gradually I added fish and stopped at 6 Tiger Barbs, 6 Zebra Danios, 3 western Rainbow, 6 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 flying fox, 1 Chinese algae eater. All has been fine with no deaths until the last couple of days where I have lost 1 Rainbow, 2 Danios and 2 Barbs. I checked the ammonia and it was at 2ppm, so have immediately performed a 80% water change. Just wondering why the ammonia had suddenly shot up? When I was looking fot the Rainbow I found a dead danio not sure how long that had been dead for so could that have caused the ammonia to spike? Or is this still part of the maturing process of the filter? Which by the way is a external Fluval 205. Thanks for any help.
Gary
Gary fergusson

Re: Ammonia spike

Postby Mr Grumpy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Gary, just wondering if you have cleaned your filter recently as that may have washed out the good bacteria that were in it converting the ammonia. The media in your external filter should just be rinsed through with tank water, ironically if you have cleaned it too well it can have a detrimental effect. If that's not the cause we'll have to have another think.
Mr Grumpy

Postby Gary fergusson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I clean the filter maybe every couple of months, and I only gently squeeze the sponge in a bucket of water taken from the tank, and then rinse the other media in the same water, so I don't think I would of killed any bacteria. How often are you supposed to change the bio max? I've never changed any yet. My filter has 3 compartments and I have the white biomax in the top 2 and nothing at the bottom.
Thanks
Gary
Gary fergusson

Postby englishmx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 am

Gary fergusson wrote: How often are you supposed to change the bio max?

Never :wink:

Not point in leaving the bottom compartment empty, pop in some filter wool, works well
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:45 am

A dead fish not noticed will cause a spike very quickly, especially if it is a reasonable size.
I would have filter wool in one basket and the ceramic stuff in the other two. You never change the ceramic stiff (Biomax or others) but sometimes have to add a bit more. The finer varieties wear down over time but the rings don't.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Gary fergusson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks for all the reply's people. Another dead barb this morning, time to get the buckets out again! Then off to the pet shop to get some filter wool.
Thanks
Gary
Gary fergusson

Return to Help!