Unusual Dwarf Gourmari Behaviour

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Unusual Dwarf Gourmari Behaviour

Postby Scaley » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:15 am

I have had two Dwarf Gourmari in my 75 litre tank for some months now, and one of them is displaying unusual behaviour,which could be a health issue.

He hovers around the top of the tank in a vertical position, which is not all that unusual as they'r labyrinth breathers, but he doesn't seem to be able to "float" whilst he's still. By this I mean that he rises to the surface for either air or food, yes, he's still eating well, then he just sinks backwards to around mid tank level, then starts all over again. He also appears to be very lethargic.

The other Dwarf Goumari seems to be in excellent health, and is not displaying similar behaviour, but he is annoying the "sick" DG by nipping at him.

I've Googled Dwarf Gourmari health issues, but can't find anything that resembles his current behaviour, can someone offer any suggestions please?
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Re: Unusual Dwarf Gourmari Behaviour

Postby Rob W » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:33 pm

It's not normal behaviour that's for sure. He may have an issue with bouyancy, but that wouldn't account for the lethargy. If he's eating OK just keep an eye on him and check the water readings regularly, keep the water quality high and see if he improves. The other gourami is displaying normal behaviour though, if he becomes more aggressive towards the sick guy you might have to separate them until he's better.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Scaley » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks Rob, the litte fellow passed away through the night, so I'll never know what his problem was.
I check the water quality regularly, and the readings are always fine, and were yesterday too.
The other DG and the tank mates all seem fine, and are all acting normally.
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Postby greatwhitegoldfish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 pm

I had a dwarf gourami that had dropsy and fin rot. I went to a Petco and they were awesome help! :D tell you DG get well soon!
greatwhitegoldfish

Return to Help!