feeding problem.

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

feeding problem.

Postby hannibal1987 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Just fed my community frozen daphnia, all 16 of my fish constantly swam round taking the daphnia in then instantly spitting it out, left it for 5 minutes, but this carried on. taken it out now. they haven't had it for a few weeks but they've always like it before. they only get fed once day, so they can't be full. the daphnia was frozen but i petty sure I fully defrosted the daphnia. was it just a bad cube of daphnia? should I feed them again today, but with something else? thanks for any help.
hannibal1987

Re: feeding problem.

Postby Carylnz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:26 pm

You could try it again. Seems odd though if they have had it before and liked it. I have never noticed fish caring whether the daphnia was frozen or not although I usually only feed it live when I have plenty to do so. Some put a cube in frozen so it slowly defrosts and the fish feed on it.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:28 pm

bit weird.....i'd try it again and watch em closely.....

as suggested above it's unusual for to refuse a food type they had before...

never seen it myself :?
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Mr Grumpy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm

My fish tend to do the same with frozen Daphnia. They take most bits but seem a little picky with others and having watched carefully the same bit will be spat out by several fish. I'm just guessing but it might be that the tiny carapace becomes detached from the daphnia and possibly hardens due to the freezing process so may become unpalatable to the fish, a bit like us getting a bit of fingernail in our dinner, ughh! That's been my assumption, I wonder if anyone knows for sure but as long as they are eating most of it I don't suppose there's a problem.
All the best.
Mr Grumpy

Return to Help!