Gravid Spot

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Gravid Spot

Postby Carolann » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

One of my Guppies seems to have a permanent Gravid spot, is this normal. She is one of the original fish we bought back in the summer and she had it then, she has given birth a few times but never seems to lose spot.
Carolann

Re: Gravid Spot

Postby orange guppy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi,

It seems that with some guppies the gravid spot will fade more after they give birth, and others seem to have a more permanent gravid spot.

Hope this is helpful
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby chopper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:45 pm

my 2 seem to have it permanent yet never had babies or at least that ive seen
chopper

Postby orange guppy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:24 am

Virtually all female guppys permanently have a visible gravid spot, from what I have seen, they darken and grow as the fry develop inside, however you may not see fry, (I presume the females are in a tank with a male?), the female guppies tend to try and eat their fry, one of the most important things for keeping any guppy fry from my experience is to have floating plants in the tank, if I want to keep more fry I will put more floating plants in the tank, previously this has made the difference of 1 fry surviving if lucky per drop to around 12 from a drop surviving, also other fish may eat the fry, or fry may end up in powerful filters if unlucky.

Hope this is useful
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby Carolann » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, Yes there is a male in the tank (3 females 1 male ) we have had fry born a few times, I took the advice of Carlnz and didnt keep the fry in breed net as I dont want to many young, we have 3 young from her last brood which have survived they have now got big enough to swim freely without attracting the attention of the other fish in the tank.
Carolann

Return to Help!