Swim bladder disease?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Swim bladder disease?

Postby Kimothy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Recently I noticed one of my female platy's swimming upside down so I have popped her in an isolation tank and treated her with a treatment for swim bladder. So after a few days she started to change (not sure if it's improvement) and stopped swimming at the bottom of the tank and moved to the top of the tank, after several days of this and no further change I was thinking it was a lost cause! But this morning I went to check on her and she had about 35 fry ( there were no signs she was expecting!) now she is swimming on her side instead of upside down. Could it be that the fry have caused the issue with her swim bladder? I'm not sure what my best course of action is now, do I continue to treat her for swim bladder? Or leave it and see if it corrects itself after our new arrivals?
Kimothy

Re: Swim bladder disease?

Postby Carylnz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 pm

They can cause problems and it may right itself. I suggest you might try the pea trick - feed her a pea, squished out of its shell, as she may be constipated as a result of the fry load.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Kimothy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 am

This isn't really much help because she cannot get to food of any kind to eat it, she's tried but she just isn't getting any food she hasn't eaten for about a week and is just getting thinner
Kimothy

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 pm

OK, have a search on dosing rates for giving Epsom Salt baths and try that. Keep her in water that is very shallow, just enough to cover her body, so she is not struggling so much to keep afloat. Or add some plant she can rest on.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!