First time white spot help please :-/

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

First time white spot help please :-/

Postby MBOP » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Hello

I bought some black mollys at the weekend and this morning noticed one of them now has white spots all over it :-( I bought some white spot treatment and it says to add 10mls to the tank and then repeat in 4 days - does this sound correct?

What else can I do in the meantime? Should I be doing water changes or leave the tank as it has the treatment in?

What has caused the white spot? I change my water weekly and have had my tank up and running for over a year.

Appreciate your help I really don't want any of my fish to die :'-(
MBOP

Re: First time white spot help please :-/

Postby wilfy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 pm

its prob 10m to a number of liters, check the dosage correctly ,and dont overdoze.check the amounr of litrs ur tank holds, then check how many mm per litrethen doze.allways be carfull adding cemicals to ur tank.
wilfy

Postby TheCaptain » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi
In terms of the cause of the white spot - did they have signs of white spot in the store? how long have they been in the tank? I seem to recall that White Spot can be triggered by stress, so being caught from the store tank, the journey from store to home, being introduced to a new tank, or differences in water quality, temperature and even tank mates could be a trigger.

As Wilfy has already said, it's likely to be 10ml per specified amount of water in the tank. For one of my tanks, 5ml would probably be ample, or another I'd need a full bottle - so double check the instructions.

Once the white spot has cleared up, have some Carbon ready to go into your filter. This will help to neautralize the chemicals (medication) that you've put into your tank, and get the water back to "just" being water - rather than treated water.
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Postby ady » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:43 pm

what other fish do you have in your tank???.....

you have to be careful with meds....white spot meds do clown loaches no favours at the normal stated dose,half dose normally recommended for example....

as the captain says there are many triggers for whitespot,stress being a major one,along with water quality.but as you just got em,it's more likely the stress of the move weakening the defenses,allowing the pathogen an oppurtunity it can exploit.

the shop may not have rested/quarantined em enough,but thats speculation on my part.... :roll:

hope things are improving now.....i never had it in my tanks ( thankfully ) so not a great expert on treatment for this..

good luck in ridding the problem pests
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Help!