Sudden death of cherry shrimp

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sudden death of cherry shrimp

Postby downhillmonkey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi all,
I really need some help. I've come home from work to find about 80% of my Red Cherry Shrimp dead and the others at the surface of the water still alive. I have checked all of my levels, which are perfect. Everything else is running fine and my Japanese fighter and all of my guppies, including recently born fish seem ok.

Now I may know what the problem is and if it is what I think I'll be a little upset.

I wanted a buddha statue in my tank and couldn't find one suitable. So I bought one from a garden centre, which I think is made from cast cement. Now before you shout I didn't put this straight into the tank, that would be crazy. I did lots of research on the net to find how to make the statue fish proof. I eventually came to the conclusion that West System Epoxy resin was the way to go. So I paid a small fortune for a kit, which was applied as instructed and left for 48 hours to dry. I then washed it in soapy water, which was rinsed thoroughly. The statue was then dried and put in the water. This was about 3 days ago.

Now at first I noticed tiny little bubbles on the surface, which I assumed had appeared as a result of recently putting the statue in the tank, so I ignored it. To be sure I rubbed them off, did a small water change and left it. The next day I saw about 8 different bubbles has returned, which were not bubbling away, they were just sat on the surface, so again I left it. Then this happens.

As soon as I saw it I removed the statue and did an 80% water change, increased the oxygen and added carbon to the filter. The remaining shrimp have now returned to normal.

Has the epoxy not sealed properly and has been leeching chemicals in the water? If so what is the outcome for the rest of the fish/shrimp/snails in the tank?

I'm really upset by this as I did days of research on a suitable to epoxy to ensure nothing come to harm and this.

Any help or advice would be grately appreciated.

Thanks
(sorry if spelling is bad, still running around like a mad man)
downhillmonkey

Re: Sudden death of cherry shrimp

Postby downhillmonkey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Forgot to add that I have recently (9 days) put in several new plants into the tank, which were purchased from pets at home. I don't usually buy here, but the plants looked in good condition. Could this be the problem? I've read about certain plants poisoning shrimp due to pesticides.
downhillmonkey

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 pm

I have no experience with those shrimps as they are not allowed in my country but I have heard of people having shrimp deaths after purchasing plants. It appears some are treated in something that is fine for fish but toxic to shrimp. Can't remember what it was called.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rob W » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Some resins need time to cure properly, during the curing process gases are produced, hence the bubbles. Marine grade epoxy needs between 4 and 7 days to cure properly in air. The fact that the removal of the statue and the water change has helped probably means that the plants are OK, shrimps are more sensitive to changes in water chemistry than fish, I remember something about plant additives being toxic to shrimps as well, have to keep an eye out for that one.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby downhillmonkey » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:32 pm

I have checked the statue and noticed a number of tiny pin holes in the resin. I have since coated it twice and ensured that everything is covered.

I will give this a week to dry, scrub it, then give it another week in a bucket of water. Hopefully this will be enough to make it safe.

I've counted 6 shrimps from about 40. Worse than I thought, but they're in good health. Fingers crossed this will be enough.
downhillmonkey

Return to Help!