It appears that I am unable to cycle my tank.

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Re: It appears that I am unable to cycle my tank.

Postby SparkyST » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

MarkP wrote:
Can I re-iterate my question from earlier as I didn't get an answer and it just might be important. Should I be removing the fish waste from my tank when I do the water changes?
I had been doing so but thought that this might have been just removing the source of food for the ammonia converting bacteria. I have now stopped removing the fish waste and am just removing water from the middle of the tank so the substrate does not get disturbed.

Thank you

Thats probably why you are getting the increase of ammonia. Your problem seems strange and I can only put it down to the filter not working correctly maybe now you have filled with the impeller and got better circulation it will start to work at growing the bacteria.
SparkyST

Postby MarkP » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Carolynz.
Here are the results from my weekend readings. I don't think I am having an issue with reading the results though as I can see the supply reading is distinctly more yellow than the tank water result.

The ammonia & nitrite image is my tank water and the ammonia only is my supply water.

MarkP

Postby Carylnz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Hmmm, not your eyes then :wink:

I am stumped. I can only hope that the increased flow from the filter now means it is working fully and, as a result, the levels start improving.
At this point I would also be removing the fish waste.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Any waste in the tank will contribute to poor water quality ,
I wouldnt leave it their either..
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby MarkP » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for your comments. I'll just assume that the pump was the cause of my problems. I'll pretend I started the whole process again as of March 4th when I saw an improvement in the pump operation and see if I can cycle my tank. I will continue with daily water changes of around 10 to 20% or whatever I find it takes to maintain a low ammonia level of 0.25ppm to 0.5ppm and continue to suck out the fish waste at the same time.

From what mosty people say it usually takes around 3 weeks to cycle a tank. I expect to see zero ppm for the ammonia and some for the nitrites to have made a show sometime before the 25th of this month. If not then perhaps I'd better find a new hobby LOL.
MarkP

New question - Re: It appears that I am unable to cycle my t

Postby MarkP » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 pm

I've just had a thought on this myself and I'd really like some opinions.

As has already been stated I am having trouble cycling my tank (10 weeks so far).

Below is the approximate birthing history of my platies. I could easily have mis-counted some and some could have been eaten but the numbers equate to about the number of survivors from each batch and todays total of over 20 is rcorrect.
I started with 6 platies on day 1.
3 fry arrived at around day 11.
Another 5 arrived around day 35.
About 3 more arrived around day 64.
Another 4 or so at around day 66.
I now have over 20 fish at day 71.
Still about 0.5 to 1ppm ammonia and never seen any nitrites.

Could it be that this continual increase in fish might have caused my cycling delays.
I am theorising that at some point just prior to completing the ammonia stage the increase in bioload was too much for the existing bacteria thus necessitating the bacteria to increase before it could complete the current stage.
Perhaps this has happened more than once with the ever increasing bioload.

On the one hand this sounds feasible but on the other hand the young fish I expect do not contribute very much to the bioload as they are so small.

What do you think?

Thank you :?:
MarkP

Postby Neveraliein » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 pm

That may not be helping- you should be looking at no more than 24" fish for first 6 months (think that's based on cycled tank). I had terrible problems a few years ago cycling my 24" tank. I think, in the end I swapped the substrate and went to gravel. I can't remember which one it was. I'll see if I can find emails/previous posts to refresh my memory.

Edit:
Found my thread:
http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7981&start=30
Looks as though your cycle may be moving anyway. In a nutshell, the Seachem substrate gave me high nitrate readings and that was helped by heavy planting. I didn't change to gravel until some time after.
Neet
Fluval 125L
3 Gold Barb, 5 Tiger Barb
2 Cherry Barb. Plants. Soft, alkaline water

45L tank
7 Cardinal Tetra & some shrimps
Neveraliein

Postby pandacory » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Just wondering Mark if you have a friend close by with a tank that has been running for year or so. If so ask him to give you squeeze of gunge out of his filter pad and dump the gunk in your tank. This will speed up the cycle as all the good bacteria you require will be filtered into your pads. I did this for neveralien quite a few years back, and have set up many tanks of my own using this method of cycling.
stuart

planted tank
3 oto's
6 lemon tetra
6silvertip tetra

marine setup fowlr
volitan lionfish
lemonpeel angel
crimson hawkfish
pajama cardinal

http://www.wix.com/tismeffs/sgaquariumcleaningservices
pandacory