is it shimmies?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

is it shimmies?

Postby jennifer o » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 pm

hiya,

just had to euthanise my male sailfin molly :(

had an episode of pop eye over the past 2 months which i treated and he recovered however this week he had an issue with some of the scales on his head sticking out slightly, nowhere else so not dropsy.

scales went back to normal then happened on the other side. he had also started to basically vibrate everynow and again.

yesterday he was titling over to one side at the bottom of the tank so seperated him in a breeder net as i dont have a spare tank.

he stopped swimming couldn't find the energy to.

he was my favourite fish and im gutted but couldnt see him suffer

does the vibration thing sound like shimmys as one of my female mollys has started vibrating today ! :?

my ph is pretty low for a love bearer at 6.8 but hes been in the tank for almost a year !
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Re: is it shimmies?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm

jennifer o wrote:my ph is pretty low for a love bearer at 6.8 but hes been in the tank for almost a year !

I like the thought of a love bearer :mrgreen:

A fish will shimmy if it is irritated, either by poor water quality or parasites of some sort. That may also explain small raised patches of scales (something burrowing underneath) Probably too late and you don't have a microscope but I would have had a close look, even with a magnifying glass, and see if I could see some sort of parasite or worm.
Have you checked the water parameters lately? Often, the fish will continue to look fine, even though conditions have been slowly deteriorating, because it is a slow process and they get used to it.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jennifer o » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm

hiya,

love bearer lol..i type too fast.

i tried my best to see something but to no avail.

with shimmies do they actually vibrate? as i thought it was just swimming but not going anywhere.

i do regular water checks, im wondering if the low ph stressed him out but it took a while for him to get ill :( miss my little molly!!
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 am

The pH will only affect most fish if it is a sudden change. They can tolerate a wide range usually.
I am afraid I know nothing about the shimmies but found this...
Shimmying is a symptom rather than a single disease, and an indication that a fish no longer has proper control of its nerves and muscles. It occurs when fish are under severe stress, most often because of environmental problems.
The classic scenario is when mollies are kept in soft or acidic water conditions. Though tolerant fish in many ways, they do not do well in soft or acidic water, and it is very common to see mollies kept that way start to shimmy. To varying degrees, almost all the other livebearers sold to hobbyists are sensitive to soft or acidic water conditions, and consequently the shimmies may be seen among any of them kept in the wrong water conditions.

Has your aquarium water always had an acidic pH? Perhaps it has just taken this long for the pH to affect him.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!