ammonia problem

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

ammonia problem

Postby ant b » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 pm

hello
just after Christmas i bought a 48l tropical fresh water tank from pets at home,
i found out that the internal pump was rubbish after a few days and very noisy and i was struggerling with ammonia levels,
so a friend suggested a external pump,so i bought a external ump with a uv sterilizer from all pond solutions.

which i have had set up in the tank now for about a month,but i am doing regular water tests with a api ammonia test kit and the ammonia is really bad and has been for a while,
i thought being a 1000lph pump it would make my water perfect but it isn't,i have rinsed the media out in tank water,but with no difference.
i did notice when i was rinsing the active carbon media out that it was bleeding of quite badly is this normal.
also in the tank i have one fighter fish 2 small molly's 3 bigger molly's,one gurarmi(sp),one small bottom feeder and ten neon tetras,i no the tank is probably over stocked ATM but i only added the tetras in the other day,as my molly give birth and i didn't have a birthing tank so i put the babies in my 28ltr tank and the tetras in the 48ltr tank

also sorry for this being my first post but i couldent find the introductions page
ant b

Re: ammonia problem

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 pm

By "pump" I assume you mean filter.
The tank has been running only 1 month. It should have a maximum of 4 neon sized fish at the moment while it cycles. Too many fish too quickly.
It is not the filter's fault it can't keep up with the fish waste yet as it has to build up the required bacteria.
There should be no cleaning of the media at this point.
I always remove the carbon and replace it with more filter wool or, preferably, more ceramic noodles (depending on the type of filter.
The answer is to be doing daily water changes of around 30 - 40% until the ammonia gets down to a less harmful level.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ant b » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm

ok,do i need to do a gravel vac every day or just change a small amount of water,.

pets at home said it was ok to add fish,but clearly not,and sorry i mean filter
ant b

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 am

It appears, from what many have said, you cannot trust the advice given from those stores :evil:
You do not need to vacuum yet and change 30 - 40% of the water daily, not a small amount.
Carylnz

Postby ant b » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

hello,
i have just got a api master test kit and i also added a small internal pump the other day which i will remove soon,

my test results were:for the new 48ltr tank
ammonia 0.50
nitrate 80ppm
nitrite 2.0 ppm
ph 7.9

and now the 28ltr baby tank atm

ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrate 5.0ppm
nitrite 0.25ppm
ph 7.8

also i dont understand the ph bottles,there 2 bottles and one high level ph and the others ph,i only says use the high level on and compare it to the high level on the chart,so whats the other bottle for
ant b

Postby Carylnz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 am

The pH tests 6.0 - 7.6 and the high pH tests from 7.4 - 8.8 (required for those keeping African cichlids and, I assume, marines)
Keep up the daily water changes to keep the ammonia .25 or below until it finishes cycling.
Carylnz

Postby ant b » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 pm

ive just re tested it after doing a few more water changes and its now right.
ammonis 0.0ppm
nitrate 0.00ppm
nitrite 0.0ppm
ph7.8

so im now going to remove the small internal filter i had in there,now that the external is about cycled
ant b

Postby Carylnz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 pm

I am intrigued all are now reading 0. It is common to have some traces of nitrates in a cycled tank but I do not know anything about your local water supply.
Carylnz

Postby ady » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 pm

good ol PAH again......bunch of useless muppets.....their advice is not advice,it's crap.....

i was wondering about the nitrates too,as since they were 80ppm....but as said it could be you very lucky in your water supply.

keep an eye on water levels after internal filter gets removed,just in case of spikes.

at least you found a site that will give you honest advice now.....

welcome to TTT 8)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ant b » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

ive just tested again now,the internal filter has been out for 2 days,and its reading
ammonia 0ppm
nitrate 40ppm
nitrite 0.25ppm
ph 7.4
ant b

Postby ady » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:32 pm

you might want to do a few more water changes to combat the nitrite reading.....nitrite isnt as poisonous as ammonia but it still can cause problems in concentration...

your nitrates arnt too bad,all depends on ya local levels really....

i would leave the filter alone for now....allow that external to grow its stock of bacteria....only clean it when the flow drops considerably,even then clean cautiously....

i have the same test kit as yourself,it's nice and accurate,so should give you a clear idea of whats going in the tank.monitor closely and water change if needed...as you have been doing.

unfortunatly you fell fowl of a store wanting it's tills ringing in the short term and sod the customer service.....customer retention is a pipe dream they can never acheive.

do you have local fish shops,other than them near you ??........maybe a member cam recommend a store near you if you let us know where you are roughly....

maybe think about getting a larger tank in the near future,it will help with the water stability in the long run.

good luck
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ant b » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:11 pm

hello ive tested it again tonight,its now reeding

ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrate 0.25 ppm
nitrite 0.25 ppm
ph.8.8

i havent fully tested are water supply but i have tested it for ammonia and its 0,what readings are good as i dont really understand
ant b

Postby Carylnz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Ammonia and nitrite should be 0. Nitrate of .25 is fine.
A pH of 8.8 is very high but if that is the local water supply pH, and fish are used to it, there may not be a problem there.
Carylnz

Return to Help!