FEEDING FROZEN FOOD

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

FEEDING FROZEN FOOD

Postby cobden28 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Today I've just bought some frozen bloodworm portions for my tropical fish, because it isn't always possible for me to get out to the LFS to buy fresh. I was advised my the shop to let each portion thaw out before feeding to the fish, but how best do I do this?

Do I put each individual portion in a cup to thaw, as advertised by the shop staff, or could I just place each portion in a dispenser in the fishtank and let the frozen food be thawed out by the warmth of the tank water?
cobden28

Re: FEEDING FROZEN FOOD

Postby Carolann » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

I bought some frozen food for my fish, I was told to chuck it in, I did It melts in a matter of seconds thats if the fish havent shredded it by then, i have a mix of foods I give so I feed frozen bloodworm once a week then other feeds flake etc then frozen shrimp later in the week. Had no problems.
Carolann

Postby cobden28 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Does anyone know if there are any problems associated with feeding frozen food to tropical fish? I'm curious, not only for my fishes welfare, but because i've never tried this form of fish food before.

Frozen fish foods weren't around when I first kept tropical fish back in the late 1970's/early 1980's.
cobden28

Postby wilfy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 pm

i feed, frozen food 2times a week ,sunday, and wednesday, in place of flake, i melt in a glass of tank water,this means i can spread over a larger area of the tank the slower fish get a better chance to get a share of the food,this is my prefrence,i know others who just put frozen cube,straight into tank,with no harm to fish.the fish will love it ,lots of different frozen foods now ,chat with ur local aquatic shop,bloodworm is a great starter all fish love them. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :)
wilfy

Postby Carolann » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:33 am

cobden28 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any problems associated with feeding frozen food to tropical fish? I'm curious, not only for my fishes welfare, but because i've never tried this form of fish food before.

Frozen fish foods weren't around when I first kept tropical fish back in the late 1970's/early 1980's.

On the Packet of the ones I feed ( BCUK Aquatics ) there are the types of fish i.e. Tropical. Marine. Coldwater .Cichlid. Discus . and above each either is or isnt a tick therefore its easy to see which type of fish is ok to be fed the various frozen feed, I use Bloodworm . Brine shrimp . Tropical feast (a mixture).. I admit I was unsure before I tried using them but I havent had any problems. Also feed Flake . Mini Pellets. Tubifex cubes. and I also feed blanched courgette..
Carolann

Postby ady » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 am

I use frozen foods as treats.basicallyi put them in a small glass and
Cover them with hot water to help the thaw.
I use an old syringe to squirt them into the filter flow and
Around the tank.

The fish love it,daphnia and bloodworm is what i use.

Also a good idea to use frozen food to condition up breeding pairs,
ready for spawning.

I prefer frozen to fresh.less chance of any pathogens and nasties
Getting into your tank and causing problems.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 am

Be very careful of bloodworms as many have an allergy to them. They do not know until they come in contact then some have a severe reaction! They are a common allergy.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:48 pm

indeed carylnz....

thats why i use old plastic syringe from a kids liquid painkiller to do mine.

just flip em into the glass,defrost em and squirt em into the tank.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Rob W » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

I drop a cube into an egg cup, fill it with tank water and leave it for 10 minutes to thaw, then swish it about and pour it in and watch the feeding frenzy. :mrgreen:

Always wash your hands afterwards as bloodworms can carry some nasty diseases and cause allergic reaction.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby jennifer o » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 pm

i always defrost mine in warm water, put it in a net to rinse it off, in case any nasties are in there, then pop it in the tank... they go mad for it :)
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Postby markee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 pm

or just hold the cube in water & feed them by hand :lol:

markee

Postby ady » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm

do they sit and beg too ???? :roll: :rofl:

bless em.....i have dropped the odd cube in wholer and frozen,to allow the bottom feeders and my clownies to get in on the act too....

cool pic 8)
ady

Return to Help!