HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!! AAAAAH!!!! QuIck Cure????

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!! AAAAAH!!!! QuIck Cure????

Postby exfishnoob » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:39 am

Just noticed some white spots on the Tin foil barb! Doesn't look like ich.( not crystal looking ) Looks like slightly raised, white area where some scales got damaged. ( possibly a secondary from all the trauma from the rapid water changes, stress, etc that caused him to get moved to a bigger tank in the first place?) A LOT of research has led me to believe it might be velvet? or some other parasite? or maybe his slime coat going off the charts to heal up some scale damage? he is rubbing the area against the gravel and decorations in the tank. just caught it today....should I use QuIck Cure just in case? We did have an ich outbreak in the smaller tank about a month ago....all better now. maybe the slight changes in ph or temp made it kick in on him again? I just want the poor thing to be healthy. :cry: Ammonia 0 NitrItes 0 NitrAtes 30 GH 75 KH 80 PH 7.4 Temp 81.5 F
Last edited by exfishnoob on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exfishnoob

Re: HEEEEELLLPPPPP!!!! AAAAAH!!!! QuIck Cure????

Postby exfishnoob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 pm

update...tried a 3 day treatment for ich. did a 30% water change yesterday, yes, used tap safe. ( actually Prime) sundance, my smallest and longest owned tin foil is scratching himself on the gravel and big decorations. he is also shaking his head sometimes. ( like saying no!) the biggest tin foil, Butch scratches occasionally, but not like that. It seems to get worse right after we feed them. ( feeding very lightly and they go into a frenzy to get the flakes!) water is perfect as far as ammonnia 0, nitItes 0 nitrAtes at 40 water is too alkaline, at PH 7.8 KH 80...but how to drop PH without shocking the poor things? WHAT IS GOING ON WIF MY FISHIES????!!!!!
exfishnoob

Re: HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!! AAAAAH!!!! QuIck Cure????

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 am

Hmmm tinfoils prefer it acidic. In your first post you said the pH was 7.4 then then next post you said 7.8. Considering the scale is algorithmic this is a big jump - and in the wrong direction. Do you know why the pH is rising?
What is the pH out of the tap? If it is lower, you could do large daily water changes to bring it down more slowly.

Ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt. Obviously something is irritating them, hence the rubbing and flicking. It could be any of the things you mentioned. Got any good pics?
Did you check the water between the 2 tanks when they were moved? It is possible a sudden pH or temp change set them off in the first place.

Also, did you say they are now in a 40 gallon? This will still be too small. Tinfoils grow rapidly and are said to need a 55 gal minimum. They also like a reasonable amount of water movement.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby exfishnoob » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 am

tested water at fish store and got a ph liquid test. our strips were lying to us. :( PH is 6.4 ammonia 0 nitrItes 0 nitrAtes at around 4. they are in a 90 US gallon tank. That's a 340 liter for you non americans :wink: been doing daily water test. everything seems to be the same this morning as it was yesterday morning. went to our fav and awesome LFS yesterday in a panic. they said watch fish for new or worsening symptoms..but it sounded like stress. the rainbow shark..who is obviously black colored..shows no milky or white patches. so probably not a parasite, as he would be affected too. fish not gasping...or gill flaring. just the wierd rub thing. seems to happen after they have been especially active ( like feeding or when they are doing their" I'm the biggest fish!" competition) light color spots on sundance have not worsened, or spread. so I guess it was just that he damaged his scales during all the craziness and his slime coat is trying to protect the " injury" will keep updated over the next few days if anything seems to change, and as they get fully settled into their new home.
Ps. the tank is running 2 aquaclear 110 BOT filters, plus an undergravel filter with a maxi jet 1200 and a maxijet 900 power heads plus a 150 gallon airpump running 2 airstones. lol. believe that the water is moving and well oxegenated.
pps. old smaller tank did have higher Ph than the newer..bigger tank
exfishnoob

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 am

That all sounds a lot better than before. Scale damage always shows up more on silver scaled fish and can look worse than it is. Your theory of extra slime coat protecting the damaged areas is sound. Some may even have secondary fungal infections trying to get a foot (scale?) hold.
There are some fish that will glide about then suddenly flick off the bottom for a while then go back to cruising.
When most fish get stressed it is easy to tell as they get very pale. When a fish is silver to start with it can be harder to see!
I assume they have not clamped their fins?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby exfishnoob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 am

got the temp and ph stabalized....end up treating for possible fungus with acriflavine and malachite green...nope. so. narrowed down..we got a gram negative bacteria going on in here.( columnaris...saw the little thing on all 3 fishes mouths due to close obsevation ) sheesh. thank heavens for all the useful info and the process of elimination..eh? lol so...today begins the furan 2 treatment. in 4 days all should be well.
exfishnoob

Return to Help!