missing fish

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

missing fish

Postby hannibal1987 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm

two of my guppies recently died after being attacked by my frogs. the frogs nipped their tails. they survived for a while after. the first lasted a bout a week, then died, I discovered my snail eating its remains. about a month after this, the 2nd guppy (which seemed fine) completely vanished.

This afternoon (About a month after the 2nd guppy disappeared) two of my three hatchet fish have also vanished, they were in the tank last night, swimming about fine. There is not a trace of them anywhere. the frogs haven't gone for any of the fish for months and I don't see how they could of got to the hatchet fish (which spend all of their time near the surface). I'm positive the filter can't take them up, but I checked to make sure. If they'd been eaten by the frogs or snail surely there would be at least some remains, especially seeing as two of them have a gone in such a short space of time. It's confuzzling the life out of me!

WHERE ARE MY FISH?
hannibal1987

Re: missing fish

Postby englishmx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Have you a tight fitting lid? Hatchet fish have a habit of jumping, have a good look on the floor, behind you tank stand etc.
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Gary fergusson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 pm

I've literally had to remove everything bar the water and gravel before to try and locate a dead fish, but I have always managed to find them. It's incredible sometimes where they can get! It's usually tangled up in some roots or somehow under a rock. Keep looking I'm sure you will find them, that's unless there is nothing left of it or it has jumped out of the tank :D
Gary
Gary fergusson

Postby Carolann » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

I managed to lose one of my neighbours goldfish when they were on honeymoon, searched high and low, it was eventually found 2months later rammed into a shell they had as a ornament in the tank.
Happy hunting.
Carolann

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 pm

A lot goes on at night when you aren't looking. I suspect your frogs are eating the fish and there would be no remains by morning.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby hannibal1987 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 pm

The frogs are my prime suspect. Checked everywhere, turned over every inch of gravel, look all around the tank on the floor and down the back of the cabinet. Did my research with the frogs and everything I came across described the frogs as peaceful. The guppies made the mistake are putting their tails near the frog's mouths whilst they were feeding. they also stalk my cherry shrimp constantly, but never get anywhere near because the shrimp are too quick. Can't understand how they'd get the hatchet fish, it takes the frogs quite a while to swim to the surface. Plus it would mean they've taken two in one night and got rid of the evidence, when they never shown any interest in them before and they all been in there together for months now. One of them had a nip at my ancistrus' tail a few weeks ago and got a nasty surprise when he turned round and jumped on the frog and then chased it about the tank for about three days. He doesn't go near it now.
hannibal1987

Return to Help!