Please help Pakistani loach swimming very erratically!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Please help Pakistani loach swimming very erratically!

Postby pakistaniloach » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi there,

I just joined this forum because I'm worried about a pakistani loach I have.

He is by far the smallest of 4, and does get pushed around by the others. This I could handle, but he has been very ill for maybe 2 weeks now.

At first he was unable to keep his balance, and kept trying to swim to the surface- when I saw this I did a water change and fed the tank mushed peas for a few days. He was still unwell, not eating at all, and unable to swim hardly. I then went out to get some swim bladder treatment, and used it as per instructions for 12 days. He seemed better, as was swimming very quickly around the tank.

However for the past few days he has been swimming extremely strangely- in very tight circles only to the left (he seemed not to be able to turn right) and what I thought was bumping into things I now think may have been him rubbing himself on the rocks in the tank.

All other fish are absolutely strong and healthy, and eating well. I have taken the sick one out and put in a separate tank for now, as I'm scared for him a) to be too bullied and b) to infect the rest of the tank.

I have read about parasites getting into the gills, and his look pink but otherwise ok. He has bursts of swimming about upside down and twisting and turning, and swimming in circles, followed by an immense come-down, where he just lies on his side on the bottom.

Do you think a full spectrum antibiotic would work for him? I just bought some waterlife sterazin, which should be here within 2 days. I have been thinking about euthanising him with clove oil, but really don't want to unless this is the only thing I can do to help him.

Please help!
Thanks

p.s. all levels nitrates/ph etc are normal in the tank, and I've been doing water changes every 4-6 days.
pakistaniloach

Re: Please help Pakistani loach swimming very erratically!

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 am

I suspect he has been injured by the others. You say they have been bullying him (as often happens with the smallest) and I think it possible he has been rammed in the side at some point.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby pakistaniloach » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for your response Caryl,

It is possible that he has been injured, but what can I do apart from keeping him separate from the tank and hoping he will heal?

Also is there anything I can do to stop the loaches being so aggressive? There is one in particular, the biggest, who is very dominant. I read that adding more to the shoal might make him calm down, but I fear that any I can get will be babies, so consequently will be bullied too.

Thanks
pakistaniloach

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 am

I don't think there is anything you can do to help him if it is an injury.
Adding more would be good but, as you say, they would need to be a similar size.
Are there plenty of plants and decor for individuals to hide in and get away from, or out of line of sight of, the bully?
Carylnz

Postby pakistaniloach » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 am

Hi there,

yes I have a coconut cave, a driftwood piece with lots of hidey holes, and a few plants for the others to hide- the others seem to be able to stand up much more to the bully, but I'm so sad that he may have caused the small one serious injury!

Would you say I should get some clove oil to euthanise the little guy?
pakistaniloach

Postby Carylnz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:58 am

If there is no sign of him recovering - or, more importantly, he shows less quality of life, then it is best to euthanase.
Carylnz

Return to Help!