Lost my fighting fish, what now?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Lost my fighting fish, what now?

Postby Davy Jones » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 pm

I cant tell you how gutted I am having just lost my first fish! We had a stunning Siamese fighting fish but sadly he died last night after a super quick illness. I'm after some advice now to make sure the same thing doesnt happen again so here's a brief description of events-
We bought the fighter back in january for my son, he originally lived in a small 19L tank until last week when we rehomed him in a 65L tank that had been set up and running for a couple of weeks. This tank is planted and has no other fish.

All seemed well, the water was fine-

PH-7.2
AM-0 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate- 20ppm

After a day or so of him being placed in the new tank we noticed lots of white jelly like stuff in patches on the bogwood, I took it out and gave it a good clean however it came back straight away, this spread to one of the suckers on the heater and then to some plant leaves and then it looked as if it was on the fish itself. The fish also came out in lots of white spots over its fins and tail which then looked as if they had been torn to shreads.
My lfs suggested I try some Melafix but after two days of this, the fish sadly died.

I am about to start again with the tank, what could that jelly like stuff be and how would I go about ensuring it doesnt come back? Should I keep the plants currently in the tank or should I completely remove and clean the substrate, slate and stones and simply throw the plants away and start from scratch? Should the filter media be cleaned also?

This is a bit of a set back for me, my 125L tank is doing so well with no problems at all, all the fish are looking great, water is always spot on and the plants are growing nicely, I'm not sure where I went wrong with the smaller tank.

Thanks if you can help

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: Lost my fighting fish, what now?

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 am

Has the bogwood been used in another tank? I would try setting up without it and seeing if that is the cause or just the first thing the stuff grew on. I know I have heard this description before but I can't remember where (here I think somewhere) or what they did to fix it.
You aren't using pH Up or pH Down are you?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Davy Jones » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm

The bogwood was bought new for this tank from the same place I bought my other piece from, that has been fine. I haven't had to use any ph stuff as it has been just fine so far.
I think I'll strip the whole tank down and start again without the bogwood this time and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again!
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby englishmx » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 pm

I have had the odd piece of Bogwood/Mopani behave like that in the past, a good scrub, it just comes back, for the sake of a few quid, bin it :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby ady » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 am

i had a problem with a brach i used in my tank it in the early days..

it developed a white cotton wool like jelly/fungus on it....it was removed,i poured boiling water on it,used hot salty water and dried it in the sun.....put it back in the tank and it happened again.....so filed it in the bin...

had no problems with any other wood....
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby pandacory » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Sorry about the loss Davy.
I'm glad I read this post. I have a new set up and 1 piece of my wood had a fluffy white growth on it. Last week I removed, scrubbed and boiled it. So far it hasn't returned, but if it does it will go the same way as ady's and English's
stuart

planted tank
3 oto's
6 lemon tetra
6silvertip tetra

marine setup fowlr
volitan lionfish
lemonpeel angel
crimson hawkfish
pajama cardinal

http://www.wix.com/tismeffs/sgaquariumcleaningservices
pandacory