Brisstlenose pleco's dying!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Brisstlenose pleco's dying!

Postby 5Tracy5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 am

Hi All,

I hope you can help.

I have a 125 litre Juwel tank stocked with mainly tetra – glowlites, black skirts, black neons, rummy nose, buenos aires, pristella & red swordtails. I went to my local fish shop on Saturday to get something to help me combat all the algae and I bought 2 brisstlenose plecos. As soon as I got them home and got them in the tank they seemed fine and got working on the algae on the glass and filter. The next morning I couldn’t see the new pleco’s but could see that they’d been very busy in the night at cleaning a lot of the algae on one of my pieces of wood. I assumed that I couldn’t see them because they were hiding but then I found them both at the back completely stripped and being eaten by my swordtails! I think all the fish had probably had a go on them at some point but at that time all I could see were the swordtails. I don’t know what happened and whether they had died at some point in the night or the other fish just descended on them as soon as the lights went out. I felt awful fishing their carcass’s out of the tank! :( I told the lady in the fish shop what fish I already had and she didn’t think it would be a problem so does anyone know if that was wrong and I shouldn’t of added them?

Also I still would like something in the tank to help with the algae so can anyone recommend another fish that would be good and also ok with the fish I already have.

Thanks!
5Tracy5

Re: Brisstlenose pleco's dying!

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am

Have you tested the tank water recently?
Can you find out if the pH in your tank and the pH at the shop are different? It doesn't take much of a difference to affect new fish.
How many of each fish do you have?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby 5Tracy5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I test my tank water most days with the API liquid kit. PH is fine...7, and ammonia, nitrite are 0 and nitrate around 10.

I did notice on the night time one of the pleco's was on the glass and one of my swordtails went over and had a bit of a nibble on his tale. Not sure if he was actually biting him as the pleco didn't move and I couldn't see anything up with his tale after. Also (not sure if it was the same one) but one of them was floating upside down at one point right at the top....it looked like it was dead but when i lifted the lid it shot off onto the glass. Not sure if that's normal behaviour or not?

In the tank currently i have:

5 x red swordtail
5 x black skirt
5 x black neon
4 x buenos aires
10 x rummy nose
9 x pristella
8 x glowlite

Thanks!
5Tracy5

Postby Carylnz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes, I would check the water conditions in the shop compared to your own tank. Could be a sudden pH or temp change between the shop tank and your own that was the problem.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!