Fish problem

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Fish problem

Postby lavyheed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 pm

My 4 foot communal tank which has been well cycled has a major problem! I have Columbian tetras pencil fish a few harlequins and a couple of cory's and a dwarf gourami. I had 4 columbians and out of the 4 I have two left, but one is showing signs tonight. I've lost 3 out of 6 pencils and way back in the begining it started with the guppies and out of 5 there is one left

Everything was fine until the last couple of days the fish have been dying! They all show the same symptoms which is like they are swimming with their head and going round in circles. This only lasts for a day and then they are dead in the morning. These fish have been in the tank a while and the water ph is fine and all the nitrates ect are fine and so it the temp.

When it first started happening I did a water change and it's still happening. The filtration is a fluval 403.

Anybody have any suggestions?
lavyheed

Re: Fish problem

Postby Carylnz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 am

Could be internal parasites affecting the neurological system. May have been in the guppies.
I have been reading a lot over the past few years of people having problems with guppies so I avoid them these days.
It is possibly whirling disease - if the guppies were fed live tubifex that were infected. This may have happened before you bought them.
Some may suggest neon tetra disease but this makes the fishes' colour fade and they often develop grey or white patches on their sides too. In advanced cases the fish may have trouble swimming, and the fish may develop odd swellings or contortions as the muscles get damaged. Usually the fish dies within two or three days of the first symptoms so I doubt it is neon tetra disease in this case.

Have any sprays been used near the tank recently?
Have you checked the water supply? Sometimes water authorities flush stuff through the water system that has an adverse affect on fish.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!