White spot

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

White spot

Postby prussell » Thu May 30, 2013 6:16 pm

I have a community aquarium housing several species of tetra including four black phantom tetras. I recently had an outbreak of white spot and treated the aquarium immediately with a proprietary medication containing malachite and copper sulphate. I followed the manufacturer’s dosing instructions to disrupt the parasites life-cycle. By the end of the treatment schedule all species of fish were free from clinical signs of the disease except all the black phantoms. I continued to medicate on alternate days but the condition persists in just these four fish.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? Can anyone offer an explanation as to why white spot cannot be eradicated from just one species given that the medication works on the free living stage in the parasites life-cycle?
I don’t want to continue the treatment for too long because of the potential adverse effects on the denitrifying bacteria.
prussell

Re: White spot

Postby Carylnz » Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Some fish are more sensitive than others. Some bugs are more tenacious than others. Some find following the instructions on the bottle for dosing for 2 complete treatments, one right after the other, is required.
They also show up more on some fish than others.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!