Two fish down day 3 of cycle

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Two fish down day 3 of cycle

Postby Price_y » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi i winder if anyone could offer some advice ive kept tropical fish before and have just bought a new 64 ltr tank recently. I set it up and let it run with Filter and heater etc and left it running for a few days, I added 4 Zebra Danios to cycle the tank Day one water results were

Ph - 7.5
Ammonia - 0
NitrAte - 0
NitrIte - 0

Day two was also similar - Day three i came downstairs to two danios dead at the bottom of the tank i tested water again and got the following results

Ammonia - 0
nitrate - 50
Nitrite - 1.6

I removed the dead fish and did a 50% water change is it right for the Nitate and nitrite to be so high this early in?

I have used dechlorinator in the tap water and i am using a liquid water test not the strips - if some one could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks in advance
Price_y

Re: Two fish down day 3 of cycle

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I have always found this helpful.
4 zebra danios is what I would recommend to start a tank that size. Not sure how you have the other readings before the ammonia though. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? The strips are innaccurate.
I can't see you did anything wrong. Were any showing signs of rapid breathing or darting about?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Price_y » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:59 am

Hi yes i am using a liquid test kit the results seem strange to me.

I lost another danio just after i posted the previous post also. - The last Danio i have is showing signs of rapid breathing. i don't know what i have done wrong its strange.

Also to add my water test results are pretty much the same after yesterday

No amonia and high nitite and nitrate :(
Price_y

Postby Hampalong » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Carylnz wrote:4 zebra danios is what I would recommend to start a tank that size.......
I can't see you did anything wrong.

And on that note I realise I have no place on this forum. :(
Hampalong

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I am not sure I understand your response. Sometimes it can be hard to tell what has gone wrong, or why. There are many variables in the hobby and as we cannot see or know everything about the situation, we may have missed something. We can only offer what help we can based on the information given.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!