Help Please!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Help Please!

Postby 5Tracy5 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi,

I have a 120l cycled Juwel tank. All water parameters are normal.

I noticed on Tuesday one of my female red swordtails was quite lifeless at the bottom of the tank. It looked like she'd been picked on by the others as her tail was a bit nipped so I took her out and put her in a small tank on her own and I'm not sure what to do with her. Occasionally she would swim up to the surface and then after a few seconds would sink back to the bottom and just lay there (straight). She's lost a bit of colour and seems a little thinner than usual and also she had a couple of days of this white string like poo. I looked online and thought she might have some kind of parasite but I'm not sure how to treat her?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!
5Tracy5

Re: Help Please!

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 pm

It can be really hard to tell what is wrong with a fish. White stringy poo can be a sign of internal parasites but also a sign that she has net been eating much for a few days.
Female live bearers in community tanks do not live as long as they might due to the fact they are usually constantly gravid or producing fry. This wears them down very quickly and causes premature death.
If she has recently had fry she will then be constantly harassed by the males so it is best to remove a female after birth to give her a chance to recover and get her strength back.
Have you seen her eating at all? Keep her separate in a small container (a plastic one floating in the main tank is fine, with daily water changes) with just enough water to cover her when she is upright. Feed her good quality foods (live is especially good if you can find some) and see if she recovers. You might add a small amount of salt to the water as this is a general tonic. Try 1 teaspoon per 3 litres.
Is she does not recover after this, try an antibacterial med (if she survives. Chances are she will not sorry)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!