help me diagnose my zebra danio!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

help me diagnose my zebra danio!

Postby Absolver » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 am

I came home from work today to find a somewhat large, oblong grey patch on one of my zebras backs just ahead of the dorsal fin. It also appears as though there might be a smaller patch at the base of the fin. I can't tell if he is missing scales or if it's a mass on him. He seems to be swimming normally. My usual routine is to change the tank water on Saturdays. Should I not? What's going on?
Absolver

Re: help me diagnose my zebra danio!

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 am

First thing is to always try a water change :wink:
I have seen this problem before and trying to remember where, what it was, and what suggestions were offered.
Is it possible he got a fright and tried to dive into a hole too small for him, causing an injury?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Absolver » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:49 pm

I very intentionally don't have any decorations with holes like that. I do have some fake rock structures but they are very open and I'm hard pressed to imagine it. He is swimming around well, moving through the water column and in and around various decorations. I may be more upset than him. I always put API stress coat+ in with a water change so I'd this is just an injury that should help. I'm just scared my tank is being exposed to dine horrible fungal or bacterial infection.
Absolver

Postby Absolver » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Usually try to change about 4 of 20 gal. Changed 7gal this time. Also removed all the decorations and put new ones in, in case there is an infectious agent. Used a higher dose of stress coat (mfg recommends doubling the dose if dealing with an injury). Thus far all the fish are swimming around exploring the new layout. The injured one can be seen playing in the bubble stream and chasing the other danios about so hopefully this will resolve promptly.
Absolver

Postby Absolver » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 am

So I am now certain that the spot is shrinking. He is swimming fine, chasing the other zebras and flying around the decorations.
Absolver

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:56 am

Good news. I am a fan of keeping perfect (as possible) water conditions and extra water changes when something like that appears and 9 times out of 10 it fixes the problem as the fish can heal itself. I am not a fan of adding meds.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!