TAP Water chemistry worries

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

TAP Water chemistry worries

Postby jts123 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi all

I have a 60 litre 'cycled' tank, with a variation of community fish (neons, mollys, harlequins etc) and a moderate amount of live plants (cabomba, vallis, java etc). Although I don't currently have any particular problem or issue with the stock or anything I have discovered an issue that is giving me a few worries:

After my recent water changes I have been doing water tests with an API liquid test kit just to check all is well. But in more recent tests I have begun to get higher than normal PH, Ammonia, and Nitrate readings. Though they are not getting to crital or dangerous levels yet, I feel that things should be better.

As I tend to test the water about 8/10 hours after I have made a water change (usually of around 10 - 30%) I would expect the relative test levels to be a little better, given that it was soon after new clean water had gone in, but as I said.. they are getting generally higher than the normal recomended readings. With this in mind, I kept some of the clean dechlorinated tap water aside after doing the latest w/c with the intention of testing that too.

After it had stood for about 8/9 hours in a bucket I did various tests, and these were the results:

PH: 7.8
Ammonia: >0.25ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm
KH - 12 degrees/drops (214ppm)
GH - 16 degs/drops (286.4 ppm)

Given it is never easy to discern an exact number with these tests, they are as close as I think the colours represent.

I feel that as my TAP water is giving me reading this high in the various tests.. I am never going to get the optimum recomended levels in the tank. Or, not without trying to manually adjust them with the various methods and treatments available.

Does anyone have any feed back or suggestions on this? Or at least some reassurance that things are possibly not as problematic as I am worring they are?

Cheers

John
Midlands, UK
jts123

Re: TAP Water chemistry worries

Postby cousin it » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:17 pm

What dechlorinator are you using to prepare the water as some can have an effect on the results you get when testing the water.
How do tests taken 48 hours after a water change compare to the ones taken 8-10 hours after?
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:09 am

Test some tap water that has not been dechlorinated too and see if results are the same as the chlorinated stuff.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jts123 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:10 am

cousin it wrote:What dechlorinator are you using to prepare the water as some can have an effect on the results you get when testing the water.
How do tests taken 48 hours after a water change compare to the ones taken 8-10 hours after?

I use Tetra 'Aquasafe' http://www.tetra-fish.com/products/aquarium-water-care-maintenance/aquarium-water-maintenance-how-to-keep-fish-water-clean/aquasafe-aquarium-dechlorinator-conditioner.aspx

I have done since I started out with fish keeping about 4 years ago. :?
jts123

Postby jts123 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:14 am

Carylnz wrote:Test some tap water that has not been dechlorinated too and see if results are the same as the chlorinated stuff.

Hmm... I supose that's one way to assertain what the exact situation is with my tap water parameters. I'll give it a go and post the results.

To be completely sure, I supose I should allow it to stand for the same time before I test it too?? (But NOT having treated it ofcourse).
jts123

Postby cousin it » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:19 am

There is a possibility that chloramine is the cause of Ammonia showing up in your test results.
this topic on the main site explains how this could be happening.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 am

You could test immediately and then after it has sat for several hours. You might be surprised at the results.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!