Urgent Help

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Urgent Help

Postby LisaLH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Just done my water change and 6 of my fish have starting barrel rolling and staying at the top. What have I done wrong all the API master kit tests says is everything is in normal range :(
LisaLH

Re: Urgent Help

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:10 pm

I assume you used a water conditioner. Is there any chance somthing got in the water ie detergent etc.
Darryl1984

Postby LisaLH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Yes I did everything the same as normal I use API Stress Coat to condition the water/take out the chloramines etc. I use Nutrifin cycle to boost the bacteria, used the same as normal. Tested the PH, Ammonia and Nitrites and they are all normal levels really don't know what has gone wrong ;(
LisaLH

Postby LisaLH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 pm

I have buckets I use just for the fish so no detergent can contaminate the tank.
LisaLH

Postby Darryl1984 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Thats a strange one indeed. Hopfully your fish will be ok. Im sure someone will come along with a possible solution.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Possibly the council or water company had flushed something through the pipes just before you did the water change. They do this regularly.
Add more oxygen to the water (an airstone or diffuser) and see if that helps.
Are you able to get some water from nearby that has a different source to the one yours uses? You could do another water change with that if possible.

What size is the tank? What fish are in it and is it just one or two species that have been affected?
Another thought is sudden temperature change.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby LisaLH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks guys just noticed the temperature did drop a degree think it may have shocked them as they are picking up now although I did lose 3 of the 6 will make sure the water is warmer next time, it was my rasboras and black neon tets that were affected ;(
LisaLH

Postby Darryl1984 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Glad you found the cause. I offen try to put the water bk in slightly warmer than it comes out when doing my 20% changes. Never had and bad reactions from the fish. Its crazy how sensitive fish can be to the slightest of changes.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:22 am

I would not expect 1 degree to be a problem. I used to do 50% water changes on my cichlid tank by siphoning out half then refillling with the garden hose. Temp would go from 25 to 18 and the fish played in the hose current like dogs hanging their heads out a car window!
Think of fish outside in a pond, basking on the surface. They see movement and dive down. The water is cooler at the bottom of the pond than at the surface yet it does not bother them. I can't see tropicals would be any different.
When I water change my community tropical, I never check the temp. I have it just warm enough so my hand doesn't get cold when I pour the water over it. It is most likely cooler than the aquarium water but I do not usually check. Some bucket fulls are warmer than others. The fish play in the current when pouring no matter what and have never reacted like yours did.
Carylnz

Postby Rob W » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Inclined to agree with that. One degree won't make a difference. Occasionally after the water supply is interrupted the water company puts additional chlorine in the water to kill any bugs, the fact that some of your fish recovered after a period of time would seem to suggest that there was additional chlorine in there. You don't say how much water you changed or how big the tank is but if it's small and the water change was more than 25% then it will have a big effect. It would also have affected the filter bacteria so might be worth keeping an eye on your ammonia levels for a week or so.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby LisaLH » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks guys, sorry forgot the details it was a 25% on a 125l tank. Thanks for all your help guys I'll assume it was a blip as last nights water change was fine. Don't worry I'm testing every day at the mo and the ammonia levels and nitrite levels have stayed at 0. Thanks again guys really appreciate your help. x
LisaLH

Postby keatingschick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Just a point Lisa you never know may be the same, I found I lost fish after water changes when I first started and the thing was I do mine upstairs as that's where the tank is and I used to mix warm & cold tap water to air the water, but found they died. I then was told that maybe our hot water isn't so good in Uk and so when I am doing water changes I boil the kettle and add this to the cold tap water and then add the water treatment and touch wood I've never lost any fish when doing water changes since this.
keatingschick

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm

I suspect it may be the pipes or cylinders that are the problem in that case. They may deposit toxic stuff in the water. Especially in older homes.
Carylnz

Postby SparkyST » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 pm

I was advised by my LFS never to use hot water for the water changes, something to do with the water getting contaminated from the tank and pipework for the hot water system. If the tap water is too cold let it stand for a while in the bucket to bring it up to room temperature.
SparkyST

Postby LisaLH » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 pm

It's happened again half my tank affected this time, just don't know what I'm doing wrong :( it's like all my fish are drunk!
LisaLH

Next

Return to Help!