Feeling like giving up.

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Feeling like giving up.

Postby keatingschick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm doing 50% water changes every other day and adding a filter boost each time! and the water has still been reading 4.0 for ammonia, I'm trying not to feed them but feel a little cruel because they went nearly a week without food.
Today I've just done just over 50% water change and after about an hour I've tested the water and it is reading 1.0, so I'm hoping that's indicating the filter has maybe cycled and things are looking up. Friday I'll test it again and do another water change. But if the reading is high again I don't know what I'll do. I feel flustered because my tank has been absolutely fine for ages I've not been testing the water, just going off my fish and it's only in the last month I've had problems, but I feel I can't pull back.
How long should it take for the filter to cycle? I did my first one with an empty tank before I put fish in so I can't remember.
keatingschick

Re: Feeling like giving up.

Postby Carylnz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 pm

One month. I find this helpful.
Going a week without food will not hurt the fish.
Remember, for a tank that is having to cycle, you are overstocked. Hopefully it is going to come right again.
I would be doing 25 - 30% daily water changes rather than 50% every other day.
This hobby can be very stressful at times but it should all come right in the end! Fins crossed :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby keatingschick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Well I got my new filter on 24th October so tomorrow I am on day 14 and that shows that my ammonia should be down, I don't have testers for nitrates or nitrites, when I had my water tested previously I had it tested by the pet shop. I just had an ammonia tester because of one problem.
I tested the water and it was 2.0 about an hour after I had done the water change. I have to say my fish have become quite active, my new little Cory's, seem to be doing the dance and the fish generally seem more active - and not in a distressed way.
I'll do another smaller water change tomorrow.

Thankyou carylnz, I just get a bit flappy cos I feel so responsible and worried.
keatingschick

Postby Carylnz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 am

It is good to see a responsible pet owner get upset and worried rather than say "Oh well, they're only cheap fish I can buy more."
Carylnz

Postby keatingschick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Well I'm home from work again today, so I've tested the water it's sort of between 1.0 and 2.0 hard to decide really. So I'm going to do a smaller water change shortly and see how it goes fish are still lively, though maybe that's hunger so I'll watch my fingers as I'm in the tank :rofl:

Just an update.

I've just tested the water sort of an hour or so after the water change and the water is reading sort of .50 to 1.0 can't quite decide between the colour, it's got a tinge of 1.0 but does still have a little bit more of yellow about it, so I have my fins crossed and I'm feeling a little bit more positive. I'll continue to do this smaller changes daily and hope that things are on the up.
As you say carylnz some people would view them that they are just fish and easily replaceable and being honest I'd never have thought I'd feel attached to fish, but I have become really fond of my Cory's, I sort of think of little dolphins or funnily enough they make me think of elephants :? , and in was gutted when I lost my other 2 the other week. Also my little otocinclus, I read about how hard they are to keep and so I felt really proud that I have managed to keep them for so long, but was really sad when I lost 2 of those, I still have one little fella and I feel so bad he is on his own, and when my tank is better I'll see if I can source some friends for him.
Incidentally, yesterday I was counting my fish, and I could only see 4 neons, I could not for the life of me find the 5th and could not find any evidence of a dead one, so thought I must have lost one (but must have also lost my marbles as I was sure I had 5 last count) anyway today there are 5 neons happily swimming around, so maybe that's an indicator too, maybe one didn't feel too clever, and was somewhere feeling sorry for himself and now is feeling better cos maybe my water is improving - fins crossed.
keatingschick

Postby keatingschick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Did another water change this afternoon and I did sort of nearer 50%. I've just tested my water again and it's 1.0 STILL????

But I've just casually asked my hubby when did he last feed them? YESTERDAY. :angry: I've specifically said DONT feed them. I am the one who does all the water changes and manages the water and keeps on top of the tank, and yet he likes to watch and feed the fish! Am not happy!!
keatingschick

Postby Carylnz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Feeding small amounts is not too bad. It is still going to take a while for that number of fish in that sized tank to cycle again. Levels have dropped so that is good!
Carylnz

Postby keatingschick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Carylnz wrote:Feeding small amounts is not too bad. It is still going to take a while for that number of fish in that sized tank to cycle again. Levels have dropped so that is good!

I hope so, he has been warned.
keatingschick

Postby keatingschick » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 pm

I tested my water again this a.m and I had 1.0 again, n was feeling a little frustrated as to why it isn't going down. So I thought perhaps there is other stuff going on in the water and because I'm only testing the ammonia I'm not seeing it, so I decided to get the water checked properly at the pet shop.
The girl I spoke to was so helpful she is a tropical fish keeper herself and told me about her tank, asked about this forum (as I explained I'd been getting advice from a forum) as she goes in a fish forum and chatted to me ages giving me lots of advice,she brought the bottles out and showed me all of them said my ph, nitrates, nitrites etc were absolutely as they should be. My ammonia she said was not that bad, and tbh the colour of the sample actually looked less than what I am seeing at home, so......maybe my kits a bit off??? Anyway, she suggested that I do a 50% water change today, she said that whatever bit of ammonia I have should be halved by doing that and then suggested another water change tomorrow and said that should get rid if any changes. Then suggested to keep daily tests and have at least 5 clear days before I consider adding any more fish. She said from what I was telling her, perhaps it was my crazy breeding guppies that might have overloaded my filter and caused this problem. But she said she has seen people bring in much worse samples for testing and that mine was actually not worrying at all and just this slight bit of ammonia was manageable.
So I feel better. Maybe there is something wrong with this ammonia kit, I did test the tap water and it gave no reading, but her tube she showed me was much lighter than the sample is coming up with my kit.
keatingschick

Postby Fraser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi keatingschick,

I guess I'm coming a little late to these conversations (been busy moving house, building, decorating etc etc) but have kept tropicals for years so perhaps I might be able to help. To start with, and please forgive me for asking these questions but the answers will help me to get my head around your problems:

1) When did you first set up your tank?
2) What size is it (in litres) and what sort of filter are you using?
3) How many fish do you have in it?
4) When did you first put the fish in after you set the tank up?
5) How often do you feed them?
6) Did you do fishless cycling or are you using the fish to cycle the filter?
7) What sort of test kits are you using?
8) Are you fully familiar with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle?

Again, sorry to ask all these questions but it's important to know what your total situation is as regards your tank.

Cheers,
Fraser.
"There are only two things that are infinite - the Universe and human stupidity, but I'm not too sure about the former" - Einstein!
Fraser

Postby Fraser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi keatingsschick,

Further to my last post of a few minutes ago, sorry, I forgot to ask one thing: what are your current readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Do you also test for phosphates?

Cheers,
Fraser.
"There are only two things that are infinite - the Universe and human stupidity, but I'm not too sure about the former" - Einstein!
Fraser

Return to Help!