Sick Platy!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sick Platy!

Postby tropicalfishman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Hello everyone, i have a bit of crisis going on and i would greatly appreciate any help!

I have an 70 litre tank:
x7 neon tetra
x4 platy (1 male, 3 female)
x3 amano shrimp
x2 zebra snail

I bought the 4 platys on the 1st december, and in the past couple of days ago (since around the 7th) I noticed that one of the females has started to develop some sort of sickness, but i can't seem pinpoint what it is. Note: they were all in a healthy condition when purchased. Also, i have never had problems with my tank and there have not been any cases of aggression or fin nipping. (I suspect the fish may have already been infected when i bought her)

These are the "symptoms":

-The female spends almost all it's time right below the surface
- The pectoral fins have become a bit ragged (one is a little longer than the other), however all the other fins are perfectly fine
- She prefers only using the shorter pectoral fin as much as possible, leaving the other one pressed against its body and only using it when she really needs to
- She has become emaciated, although she seems to be eating healthily
- a small silvery patch (an ulcer?) is developing on side of her body (she is blue), beginning right next to the gills. it is roughly the same length as, and has formed directly above, the longer pectoral fin which she prefers not to use. In a way it looks like the blue has been rubbed off of the scales

(on the 7th/8th she would occasionally 'lose balance' and tilt to one side when she would tried to stay in the same position, but she has since stopped doing it.)

Any suggestions on what is wrong with my platy? any suggested treatments?

Thanks
tropicalfishman

Re: Sick Platy!

Postby tropicalfishman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:53 pm

the gills seem a little red and the colour seems 'rubbed off' like the silvery patch
tropicalfishman

Postby Darryl1984 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Hope you very the answers your looking for. Fingers crossed it's In time too.
Does Google offer some answers from people with similar problems.
Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 am

Since it is only 1 fish, I suggest it may be injury rather than parasites.
I am wondering if she got a fright, or was attacked (they often do it at night when you're not looking :wink: ) by an over-enthusiastic male, and has injured that side with possible internal injuries as well.
If so, there is nothing you can do except keep excellent water conditions and make sure she is not getting picked on now she is struggling.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!