White slimy yucky stuff and filter problems

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

White slimy yucky stuff and filter problems

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:28 am

Hello to all. In my small betta tank I've been noticing a white hairy substance growing on the glass, tank lid, heater suckers and on occasion a light film of the stuff on the surface of the water. It doesn't seem to disappear with water changes and I'm talking 70/80% water changes. There's only my betta in the tank with gravel, a large stone and a cup for him to chill in. He's I good health I'd say. Slight thinning of the tail fin at the end but it's always been like that.
T
Any thoughts on what this stuff could be.

This brings me into my next issue. The small filter I have in the take has a pipe to the surface drawing air into the water giving you bubbles. Over the last few weeks I've been getting up in the morning and there's no bubbles being produced but the filter is still on and cleaning the water. I've taken the sponges out during the water changes and they are bogging. Cleaned them up and for a day or so it's fine but then back to no bubbles. Take the sponges out and there full of gunk. I'm not over feeding as he only gets fed in the morning and on a Friday he gets no food. I've tried cleaning out the other parts of the filter but it's still doing the same. I'm worried that what ever is growing in the tank is blocking it. After a water change and the tanks filled bk up. You can see all the white stuff floating around which I fish out with my net but it's never ending.

Any help great.

Oh PH is fine at 7, ammonia and nitrites are fine.
Darryl1984

Re: White slimy yucky stuff and filter problems

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:59 am

Hope theses picture are big enough to see the white threads. They look like smoke in the water when the current hits them.
Darryl1984

Postby Darryl1984 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:07 am

Darryl1984

Postby Carylnz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 am

I think others have had this problem, on occasion, and it was decided it was one of the plastics on the filter suckers causing the problem. If I remember correctly it seemed to disappear over time.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Darryl1984 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 am

Interesting. I've gutted the tank again and gave all the suckers another right good clean. It's horrible stuff.

Thanks for the reassurance. Il just keep up the ocd cleaning lol
Darryl1984

Return to Help!