Cleaning Algae

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Cleaning Algae

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Hey everyone :)

I've had a tropical fish tank for about a month now, and over the last week I've noticed a lot of algae growing on the glass/ornaments/artificial plants in the tank. As it started to make the tank look unpleasant, I decided to clean it off. This worked, to a certain degree. The glass and plants are now clean, but the water is now green with miniscule lumps of algae that I can't seem to remove. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Thanks in advance :)
Cytoplasm

Re: Cleaning Algae

Postby Carylnz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:22 am

Is this just one type of algae or different sorts?
If your filter is not removing larger bits from the water then you need to work out why. Not working correctly? Not big enough?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30 pm

It seems to be a couple of different types, but I'm no expert. :p

And I think the filter is doing an okay job. The water is clear again, but the algae clumps settle at the bottom now, seemingly out of the filter's reach. Haha
Cytoplasm

Postby Carylnz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 am

It sounds like a lot of algae for a tank only a month old.
Would you give us some more details on how it was set up, size, fish, filtration, location of tank etc?
This will help determine the cause and cure.
Carylnz

Postby Cytoplasm » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 am

Interpet Insight Glass Aquarium Premium Kit, 40 Litre. The filter is Interpet CF-1 Internal Cartridge Filter (have read that these can be very problematic).

5 Neon tetras, 2 Penguin tetras (I think. I just pointed at tanks in the shop, rather than looking at names. Regrettably). A frog and Siamese fighter fish were added today.

That's the tank right now. Excuse the dullness of it. I'm going for a minimalistic approach to it, until everything stabilises.
Cytoplasm

Postby Carylnz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:34 am

I can't see the picture, just the word "image"
Have you done any water tests on this tank as that is an awful lot of fish to add to a new tank that small?
Please stop adding more live creatures to it until you get it balanced correctly and fully cycled. It is the lack of balance that is causing the algae problem.
Carylnz

Return to Help!