Sick peacock bass

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sick peacock bass

Postby Gilly » Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Hello I have a peacockbass that I have had for about 8 months all of a sudden he started sitting at the bottom facing up I checked the water and noticed that I have a bit of a amonia spike, I did around 4 water changes withing a week around 10% each one and have also stopped feeding he seemed to get a bit better for a day or 2 and his colour come back but now it's like his body is starting to bend his tail seems to be bending and also his head towards eachother I also have another peacock bass that was fine but started to breath heavy I also noticed that my temperature raised itself to around 81 so I have lowered that back down to 79 and added a airstone and the bass that was fine seems to be breathing a lot less heavy, could anyone give me any information on how I can treat my bass that Is curling or information on what this is I would much appreciate thanks.lee
Gilly

Re: Sick peacock bass

Postby Rockfish » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi,

If the water quality has been off over a longer period, it could have caused the bending you're seeing in the fish's body. If you had an ammonia spike when you checked the water due to his symptoms, it's possible there could have been lower levels of ammonia over a longer period, which could be damaging. Did you check any other parameters like nitrite, nitrate and pH?

I would generally recommend a larger water change than 10% if you have a water quality problem, as 10% isn't really enough to dilute the wastes sufficiently, and by the time you are doing the next one, a fish like a peacock bass could already have produced as much waste as that removed. I would recommend at least a 25% weekly water change for heavy feeding and polluting fish like large cichlids. Are there just the two peacock bass in the tank? How big are they and what size is the tank?

If the distortion to the body has been caused by poor water quality over a period of time, it may unfortunately be irreversible. The best you can do is make sure very good water quality is maintained and feed a good varied diet to give the best chance of reversing it.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Help!