holidays

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

holidays

Postby dawn2557 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:58 am

hi, I need help going on holiday for 10 days , how do i feed tropical fish, tank 50 gallons :D
dawn2557

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:07 am

If your fish are adults you can really get away with not feeding them at all. The risk of having someone else feed them sometimes isnt worth it see what lynton has gone through

http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=98

So if you have soemone you can trust set out pre-measured food and have them feed 3-4 times while you are gone and hide the rest of the food. Thats what I do. Dont use those extended feeder blocks. They are more trouble then they are worth.

Whats your set up like.....how many and wht types of fish?? If I remember cerrectly you have swordtails, some sort of plec and some sort of catfish??? Can yu figure out what type of plec and what type of catfish??
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby dawn2557 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:42 am

cat fish is about the size of my hand, its brown and gold, I have 6 cordoras to of witch are albino, not sure what you call other big fish he sucks the glass and is brown , he was an inch big when i got him but he is now about 6in long, plus i have a mix of small fish from tettras to sword tails
dawn2557

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:52 am

So is this the same tank as this one?? If so your sucker mouth fish has really grown fast :shock: I am wondering if it is one of the big plecs that get 1/5 to 2 feet long :shock:

http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/view ... light=#915

Anyway the reason I am asking about your cat fish is that some are preditory and some arent. There are hundreds of types of cats out there. I would be worried about him eating your other fish if he isnt fed for a while depending on which cat he is. Check out this site and see if you can figure out what he is. You can use it to identify your plec as well :D

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/families.php
Karena

krekra

Postby dawn2557 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:58 am

the closest i can see is ictaluridae its brown and orange striped with a light belly he is tubby and about 3 years old he very rarely comes out but he never seems to bother the other fish
dawn2557

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:09 am

OK go to the page for those species and scroll down through. As your courser goes over the names a thumbnail pic should pop uo and you can see if you find a match....its sort of fun to see all the pics too :wink:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/fa ... amily_id=5

If he is peacful and not bothering the other fish then you should be able to get away with just not feeding them. Do you have a friend who you would trust to feed a premeasured amount of food 2-3 times during the time you are away??
Karena

krekra

Postby dawn2557 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:13 am

yes next door he used to have fish so hes good to have next door, thankyou for your help 8) :D
dawn2557

Postby kbochat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:22 pm

interesting read....How are you able to not feed them for 10 days???

I was worried so I went out and bought one of those automatic feeders that goes off twice a day. is that just over kill?
kbochat

Postby Tigerhair » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Fish in the wild don't have a constant supply of food. As long as you have established tanks and your fish are all healthy, not feeding for a few days can actually be a good thing... what I mean is most of the time we probably feed too much! :)
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:58 pm

kbochat wrote:interesting read....How are you able to not feed them for 10 days???

Easy, if you're not home, you can't feed them :wink:

My fish are in a very mature tank that is well filtered, heavily planted, and understocked. I also don't feed my fish every day so they are used to going without.
Carylnz

Return to Help!