angel fish

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

angel fish

Postby davebird2003 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:11 pm

i have had a jewel 180 tank since sept.2006,i have various fish in it such as white cloud minnows,serpae tetra's,rams and 2 monster plecs,i also had 4 angel fish when i started off but 1 died,now i've noticed that 2 of the angels always seem to be together while the other 1 keeps to itself,would i be able to add a new angelfish of a similar size to make the numbers up and hope it paired off with the odd 1 or would the other angels attack it or kill it???
davebird2003

Postby Tigerhair » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:32 pm

Welcome to the board :) I have owned angels before and have found that they will pair up. I cannot tell what would happen if you added another angel (if you could find one that size) and even if you did, it's pretty hard to tell if they are male or female :wink: so perhaps things are best left as they are.

When mine paired up (in a similar situation to yours), they started laying eggs and at that point became very aggressive to everyone else in the tank - so I moved them to their own tank and they laid and laid and laid eggs, until one lot hatched - which they promptly ate!

So, in my view, I'd probably leave them be and see what happens.

Good luck, keep your eye out for other reponses, and keep us posted on what happens. :) Hope this helps!
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby Tigerhair » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Oh, and the plecs... are they the ones that get huge or are they monster plecs because they run around going "grr" at the other fishes and being scary? :)
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby davebird2003 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:37 pm

my plecs are the type that you buy in the shop & are only about 1" long & noew they are 12" monsters,fascinating but very clumsy aren't they
davebird2003

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:11 pm

If they are common plecs they will grow way to big for your tank as they can get over 18"+. As they get bigger their clumsiness also uproots plants and moves decor around :cry:
Keep an eye on the lone angel as the pair may attack it or stop it from getting food. I would remove the lone angel and leave the pair as the only angels in the tank. I have found trying to add more angels once others are established can be fraught with danger.
Carylnz

Postby Wolfgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:26 am

I agree. We had to do the same.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Return to Help!