Problem with rainbows

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Problem with rainbows

Postby Fishman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:09 am

Hi,

i've got a problem with my rainbows... or at least there the only ones affected atm.
Basically, a while back i had two Banded rainbows and one of them became bloated, and the other extreamly thin. I added revitiliser tonic to the tank and the bloated fish got thiner, so i think it may have been constipated, but a that only lasted a week or two before he became bloated again.

Eventually the bloated one died and the thin one started to become deformed, his back was sort of arched. And then he died a week or so ago.

Now one of my Red rainbows is starting to become the same, its getting bloated at looked a little deformed.

I dont know if its an infection so anything but i tested the water today after a water change and the resulst came out fine.
Ammonia - 0ppm, Nitrite - 0, nitrate - 10, pH - 6.8.

Anybody know what might be happening to them??
Fishman

Postby Wolfgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:04 am

It could be a variety of things. Firstly, thank you for posting your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Saves us asking, and your levels are fine. :)

Does it sound like this: Dropsy
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:35 am

The bit about arched back sounds a little worrying as the first thing that springs to mind for me is fish TB, does your fish look like...

http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/curved_spine/1.gif
David

Postby Fishman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 pm

David wrote:The bit about arched back sounds a little worrying as the first thing that springs to mind for me is fish TB, does your fish look like...

Bingo...... bugger
Fishman

Postby Fishman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:31 pm

although.... the one that looked like that is now dead, the red rainbow isnt anything like that tho, its just bloated and its head is sort of... pointing upwards a bit
Fishman

Postby David » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Fishman wrote:
David wrote:The bit about arched back sounds a little worrying as the first thing that springs to mind for me is fish TB, does your fish look like...

Bingo...... bugger

Are you 100%, could you get a photo.

You really MUST read this...

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Tank_Safety.html
David

Postby Fishman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:45 pm

Well... like i said before, the one that looked like that died, and i never found it in the tank.

I could get a photo of the one that is looking like it might go that way.
Fishman

Postby krekra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:03 pm

As for the fish with the spinal "twisting"

Spinal deformities can happen for a number of reasons. One of the more common reasons is nutritional. If they dont get enough vitamin C or are lacking certain minerals and amino acids in their diet they can get deformities. Also infectious reasons are always a concern like Fish TB as was already mentioned. Also certain other bacteria such as aeromonas and certain fungal and parasitic diseases as well.

So here is another question for you. What is your feeding routine. What type of food how much and how often are you feeding??

Have you added anything else into the tank recently...new fish???

Are you living in one of the areas that is currently having flooding issues??? Thre have been concerns about the water supply getting contaminated with pestacides from farm runnoff and chemicals being added to the water by the health department to keep it safe during this crisis.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Fishman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm

The tank dosent actually belong to me, i just look after it, so im not entirely sure how much they get fed.. but i'll definetly find out.
The food used is just normal flake food and algae wafers fed every morning.

Other than that, i havent introduced any new fish and there are no problems with flooding.
Fishman

Postby krekra » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:04 pm

Most rainbows are omnivores and need a diverse diet so if they are only getting one type of flake and waffer they may be having some nutritional issues.

Try adding some organic cooked skinned peas for them to nibble and try some more nutritious foods like live brine shrimp and blood worms.

A pic would be great!!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Return to Help!