The Nitrogen Cycle

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

The Nitrogen Cycle

Postby lislion » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:37 am

hi.

I've been really interested in tropical fish for years now. a lot of people i know have an aquarium. so i decided to take up this hobby which so far im enjoying. i've read books and surfed the internet for info on how to get started. but im stuck at one thing to do with the nitrogen cycle. heres what i know:
waste produced by the fish and other things like excess food, plant decay is what produces ammonia. this is then converted to nitrite by the good bacteria Nitrosococcus. and again to nitrate which is lowered with weekly water changes. the thing that i cant understand is, where does the Nitrosococcus bacteria actually come from.?
thank you.

lislion
lislion

Postby krekra » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:32 am

Well it can come from anywhere. Any organic matter produces ammonia. We produce tons and not just through the bodys waste system. We even excrete some urea theough our skin. So it can come off your arms, on plants on fish, from the air etc. Thats why there is not set time for the how long it takes a tank to cycle if you are starting from scratch. You can introduse the bacteria by adding some gunk from the filter of an existing tank!!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Return to Help!