How long will it live

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

How long will it live

Postby debbbydoo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 pm

Early this morning, around 12:30 AM, the glass broke in my 55 gal. tank and by the time I found it, half the water had drained out. I was able to save the fish into my larger tank but couldn't do anything about the filter till after work today. It's now 6PM and I'd like to know if it's to late to transfer the filter to the other tank and start it up to keep the bacteria alive. I'd sure hate to have to cycle the new tank that I'll get in a few days but of course will if I need to.
Thanks,
Debbie
debbbydoo

Postby debbbydoo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Oppps, how'd this get here twice>>>> Sorry bout that!!!
debbbydoo

Postby krekra » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:46 pm

its OK Ill remove the other :wink: Movr the filter ASAP!! there should still be some bacteria alive.....a lot probobly!

So sorry about your tank!! Any ideas what happened. Did a seal pop or did something crack it??
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby debbbydoo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:57 pm

I don't know why it broke. It's a second hand tank I got a from my brother in law. When we moved it it was completely empty and I've had it running for about 5 months. It cracked from the very bottom left corner and ran up at an angle to the very top.
I'll move the filter to the other tank for now. I just finished scooping out all the gravel and draining it, putting it into plastic bags. If I keep them closed tight, how long will the bacteria servive? It may be a few days till I can get the new tank. I'm not going to try to fix the crack. It'll make a good reptile habitat for someone I'm sure.
debbbydoo

Postby krekra » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:07 pm

well sometimes when you move big tanks the twisting motion weakens the seals and then if the glass starts to flex a little it can crack really fast. Water is a powerful force.

I dont know the answer to the bagged gravel question??? I would think it would need some air???

As for using it for reptiles you have to be careful with snakes. if they move up the side of the glass they can get cut very easily by the edges of a crack so seal them with silicone or cover them with clear tape.
Karena

krekra

Postby debbbydoo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Oh, I never thought about that, the crack and a snake. I figured I'd either sell it or just give it away. Either way, whoever takes it I'll make sure I mention that. Thanks!! So for the gravel, I guess I don't need to worry about trying to save any bacteria left in it.....I just got the filter running in one of my other tanks so hopefully it'll survive.
debbbydoo

Postby krekra » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Keep the filter running that way and when you set up the new tank just stock slowly!
Karena

krekra

Postby debbbydoo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:59 pm

All I had in it were 7 Jewl Cichlids and a pleco, but I'll add them just 2 or 3 at a time.
debbbydoo

Postby prouton » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 am

Use filter sponge squeezings or the whole dirty mesh (mechanical) filter material from the unaffected tank as seed for the new tank. The more seed material, the faster the new tank will be ready. Bacterial colonies double in size every 24 hours, so you could have a usable new tank in just a couple of days. Live plants will also reduce the ammonia level in a newly stocked tank, giving the bacteria additional time to multiply while the water is reasonably safe for the fish.
Current favorite movie line:
How could he get that far in five minutes?
The lady must have been willing.
prouton

Return to Help!