cure for velvet with inverts

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

cure for velvet with inverts

Postby mr rosco » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:01 pm

hello all,i have a recently aquired platty that now seems to have a slight case of velvet..normally this wouldnt be a problem,aquire some medicine nd away to go...the problem i have is finding a medicine thats compatible with inverts..ive spoken to my LFS,nd they cant come up with a definitvie product that is safe to use with shrimp..i dont have the luxury of a hospital tank and as a result cant treat the poor blighter on his own..any help would be greatly appreciated..cheers. :!: [/b]
live a lot,trust a few,but always paddle your own canoe.
mr rosco

Postby Rockfish » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:06 pm

There are a couple of Waterlife medications that might help, which are quite commonly available in the UK.

Protozin is used for a number of parasite diseases including Velvet, and although there are certain oddball fish species it's not recommended for, there are no specific warnings regarding inverts, and I do know people who have used it in tanks with Amano shrimps without problems.

The other possiblity is Myxazin, which is normally used as an antibacterial, but can be used against parasite diseases where inverts are present. Waterlife also make Paragon, which is more of a general tonic but can help as a mild anti-parasite where other medications can't be used.

If you can't get any of the above, then treatment with salt might be an option, most freshwater fish tolerate it well in the short term, especially hard-water fish like platy's.

The only other comment I would make is - are you sure it's Velvet? A few other diseases can have similar symptoms. Are any other fish showing symptoms, as this disease tends to spread rapidly. The first sign is usually rapid gill movement.

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Site Admin

Return to Help!